Options

IT Story Time!

RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
Pull up your Ergonomic Office Chairs, Cozy up to some Hot Chocolate and read some IT stories.

Tears may be shed - have happiness or sadness. Others may cause a chill to run down your spine like a new edition of Goosebumps. Still, some will want to put your head against the desk.

Tonight's scary adventure brings us to "Bob" a user with too much knowledge.
One person's trash is another's treasure | Adventures in IT - InfoWorld

More Readings:
http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/80241-so-who-has-done.html
http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/76457-what-most-embarrassing-technical-mistake-you-ever-made.html
http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/79568-happened-me-could-happen-you.html
http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/78865-biggest-pet-peeve-regarding-wiring-closets-server-rooms.html#post648201
http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/77118-when-will-management-learn.html

Here are some of my favorites I keep around for a quick read.
In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    God alive! I just experienced a "trash can" issue yesterday. While cleaning up in preparation for an Exchange upgrade I noticed one user had no quota set and her mailbox had 6GB of email. I reached out to her to help her archive/delete. It turns out part of the problem was the 3.5 GB of deleted items she kept. They were very nicely organized into all kinds of folders per year, per client, etc.

Long story short, she was under the impression that the deleted items folder was some sort of archive. I had to remind her that it is just like her trashcan at home. You put things there with the sole expectation that they will be gone at some point. Her face was priceless at that point. Her exact words were " oh my, I'm so stupid". And who am I to argue with a user icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    gr3g0reegr3g0ree Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think I've got a noob story ;)

Happened just yesterday. We work in distribution in a warehouse. So this work-colleague of mine bought a PC a few months ago and he decided to clean up junk in his PC. About a week ago his PC started to dramatically slow down, e.g. he clicked on the start menu, and the list came up like tic-tic-tic by his words lol very slow. And eventually he wasn't able to turn/get into windows. He was messing around with his bios, but no help.

There is another "expert" beside my humbleness :)
    (I've only got a Comptia A+ and N+ certs)
    So this "expert" who I guess all he did was to reinstall Windows at school 10x on 10 Pcs manually. Figured his Win 7 Home edition was corrupted and he "did it a lot" and need to reinstall, not a big issue .... I agree but hold on. Win 7 still came up 2-3 days after his problems started, he can tweak bios (which I think is irrelevant to his problem) so this might not be end of the world and possibly no need to reinstall a "beautyful" factory install :) so suggested him to get into safe mode and restore to a point more than a week old.
    Guy wasnt able to do it.

A+ training material and COMMON SENSE kicked in: SO when it started 1st, what did u do with the PC before: and I got the answer that 99% of the respondents answer lol "NOTHING"
    Gosh, I know u didn't do anything, Im interested in what did u install, or what did u delete the day when it happened - me in a friendly non aggressive, no harsh looking tone.
    NOTHING!
    Noobs lol
    SO expert said he will reinstall win7 and with that in mind took a nonbootable USB the day after. Another fail.
    Guy had a 4DVD backup, so expert started restoring the backups 1by1..... about 2h into the procedure some TV watching and some Battlefield playing on PS

... to be continued. have to go to work lol

So friend is talkig, and talking and just said that "I deleted that white folder"
    What white forlder??? Its called a hidden folder. Not white, and u dont delete hidden ones.
    He deleted the Boot folder.
    [epic facepalm moment]
    So we did all the restore for a 10min job.
    And now he is selling that PC, cause he doesnt want a broken one ....

My question is, is it possible to restore the boot folder, or repair the registry with ccleaner while he was stil able to turn it on? Or if the same thing happens only a manual repair of the boot.ini helps only?

Thx
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    God alive! I just experienced a "trash can" issue yesterday....

I have experienced this as well. I could not help but to give her a lecture. Also, people store important documents on their desktop when we specifically state to put them in a shared drive as we don't backup anything on their PC. When their hard drive dies I find it hard telling them that everything they had been working on is gone because I can't read anything on the drive and they didn't follow directions.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    God alive! I just experienced a "trash can" issue yesterday. While cleaning up in preparation for an Exchange upgrade I noticed one user had no quota set and her mailbox had 6GB of email. I reached out to her to help her archive/delete. It turns out part of the problem was the 3.5 GB of deleted items she kept. They were very nicely organized into all kinds of folders per year, per client, etc.

Long story short, she was under the impression that the deleted items folder was some sort of archive. I had to remind her that it is just like her trashcan at home. You put things there with the sole expectation that they will be gone at some point. Her face was priceless at that point. Her exact words were " oh my, I'm so stupid". And who am I to argue with a user icon_smile.gif

I experience this daily!

Also: Every time I go to reimage someone's box, they give me the "you better not lose my profile" look. I always remind them data corruption can occur at any level and there is always a risk of losing information, and that they should be backing up mission critical documents to their network drive. In one ear and out the other though, they never use the network drive.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Im a dick when it comes to wiping computers. Someone worked on their wedding planning stuff, the computer completely becomes unbootable, and I tell them: "It's gotta go" - especially when the harddrive BSoD with missing files. I have 0 tolerance for any gifts. I nuke. I pave. No time to try to repair people's mistakes especially when I see people browsing sites they know they shouldn't (been told) the day before!

To save face: I feed stray cats, and give to the local goodwill! Not that I have much to give... But I give! >.> I'm not a complete dick. I'll probably end up giving a perfectly good couch to Goodwill soon. I don't have a way to use it! icon_sad.gif I'm still paying on it, too.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams