Options

Need truthful advice about job placment and pay.

william.em.drakewilliam.em.drake Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a associates in computer systems information, a BS in managing information systems, and almost finished with a masters in information technology. I'm thinking of specializing in security. Here is the problem everyone (professors, councilors) has been telling me throughout my education process that i will get a job in IT right off and be making at least 50 grand a year to start.
I'm getting scared because i keep reading about people saying they cant find it work out of college. This is bad because I'm not in my early 20s I'm in my early 30s and decided to change careers. I'm terrified that these degrees are pretty much worthless! What kind of a pay grade am i looking at? any advice at all would be be helpful!! p.s. i will move anywhere for a job that isn't super crime ridden or highly expensive.

Comments

• Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    This isn't what you want to hear, but...

Salary is dependent on location. What you need to do is search for the jobs you want to do, filter them down with your qualifications, make note to their locations and then research the cost of living.

Me telling you that if you make 40k here you won't be living in the ghetto doesn't help you unless you are looking at a job here.

Can you make 50k to start? Depends on location, the company, how well you sell yourself, etc, etc.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    thegoodbyethegoodbye Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In addition to your location, what experience (if any) do you have in IT?
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I have a associates in computer systems information, a BS in managing information systems, and almost finished with a masters in information technology. I'm thinking of specializing in security. Here is the problem everyone (professors, councilors) has been telling me throughout my education process that i will get a job in IT right off and be making at least 50 grand a year to start.
    I'm getting scared because i keep reading about people saying they cant find it work out of college. This is bad because I'm not in my early 20s I'm in my early 30s and decided to change careers. I'm terrified that these degrees are pretty much worthless! What kind of a pay grade am i looking at? any advice at all would be be helpful!! p.s. i will move anywhere for a job that isn't super crime ridden or highly expensive.

You are positioned somewhat oddly and I probably wouldn't have done it the same way if we switched places. Here is why. IT directors, in my experience, are MBA's. You aren't really on that track - although with enough time in you might be. That leaves the technical folk like me and project managers. Project management isn't easy to get into without any experience so you will have to wait on that one. However, once you are in your education and experience will assist in getting a PMP or something. A lot of high salary can be achieved in project management. On the technical side of the house your degrees are OK but you don't know anything. Don't be offended, its not your fault, colleges don't teach what you need to know to survive on the technical side of the house. You will start the bottom, like everyone else, and I don't see you getting paid $50K right up front. You are looking at $35-$40K for entry level work. If you get two offers in that range, take the one that you like the best and build your experience.
  • Options
    i live in Vermont, but would move for a job if it made at least 50 grand. 50 grand is the magic number because that's the minimum i had been expecting, im not comfortable selling my current house for a job that makes less then that because i probably wouldn't get financing. Right now in VT the colleges are marketing IT degrees as the hot new sure thing. I have done the qeek squad thing as well as worked for a small computer repair/programing company. the thing is it seems that unlike other careers, degrees don't mean anything its all experience, no one cares if you have a master degree! im in a really tight spot i cant really say to my wife well honey looks like i got 3 additional degrees to make 15 bucks a hour!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I agree with it_consultant, you are kind of in an odd spot with your high level degrees and lack of experience (I'm assuming since you are a career switcher). Your degrees certainly aren't worthless, but they might not have as immediate of a pay off as you might like.

Have you looked into internships? Your best bet would be to get on with a larger company that has a program for people with graduate degrees to come in above entry level.

Also what is your prior career? If on the business side you may be able to lean on that to get in the door somewhere.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    the college im getting my masters from offer internships at rolls Royce, i was hesitant to do one because its in Virgina (wife kids) but maybe its my best bet! Before the IT venture i worked for UPS over seeing Shipping related computer issues. these issues are all very simple to fix.
  • Options
    the goal was to be a manager within a few years. i was considering once i received a job to pick away at a MBA as well.
  • Options
    the college im getting my masters from offer internships at rolls Royce, i was hesitant to do one because its in Virgina (wife kids) but maybe its my best bet! Before the IT venture i worked for UPS over seeing Shipping related computer issues. these issues are all very simple to fix.

Take the internship.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Take the internship.

This.

I'll add some from my past experiences.

First off don't ever let someone try to convince you that your degrees are "worthless", I know for a fact I wouldn't be where I am today if I didn't have my BS and MS. First off if you haven't look into the internship or look for a part time/full time position in IT while you're going to school. I don't know your course load or other commitments time wise so this may or may not be very do able for your situation. I started working full time before I finished my bachelors for about a year making entry level pay, and at a pretty crappy company. Upon finishing my bachelors however since I kept on it to find something better I was able to land a job making 46k out of college. In Pittsburgh, PA I know a number of companies do this where they will come on campus recruiting college grads for a college new hire program. I'm assuming this is a fairly common thing for schools and larger organizations as a way to find new talent. Fast forward 5 years later I completed my masters this past fall, and recently took a new network engineer position at a fairly large MSP in the north eastern part of the US. This new position also has brought my salary up quite a bit in that time, I can't help but think my overall knowledge (technical and business), education, and experience have all play a big part in my success.

Bottom line get an internship/part-time job, work with your schools career center, and start networking as much as you can with people in the field. ROI on the degrees might come quickly or you may have to work at it depending on how you market yourself and what's available to you. I know it's not a cut and dry answer but I hope the advice can point you in the right direction, find what you like most in IT and master it.
  • Options
    gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    Here is the problem everyone (professors, councilors) has been telling me throughout my education process that i will get a job in IT right off and be making at least 50 grand a year to start.
    50 grand is the magic number because that's the minimum i had been expecting

It's unfortunate people have been telling you what you would be "entitled" to after getting such degrees, as without experience it may not happen initially. Those degrees will help you get in the door and move up, but might not start you off in a mid/high level position.

With that said, 50k isn't crazy high money so as others said, location pays a HUGE role.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    the thing is it seems that unlike other careers, degrees don't mean anything its all experience, no one cares if you have a master degree! im in a really tight spot i cant really say to my wife well honey looks like i got 3 additional degrees to make 15 bucks a hour!

I missed this part you post so I wanted to add some addition thoughts. I also see that networker had a similar recommendation as I had for looking for a college graduate program, guess that's what I get for skimming and posting :)

Back on to my point, in my experience in IT you can make it with formal education or without. Just since I know a little of networkers background i'll mention him in my example. If memory serves me right he got his start in IT, specifically networking in the army and has worked his way up from there and made a stellar career for himself. It's a great example like many others that hard work and educating yourself will take you places. As I wrote in my previous post my career started a bit differently I went to college out of high school, I was always working just no in IT until my last 2 years of school. Then out of school I got a job at a large global organization through their college graduate program and moved up from the entry level work I had been doing. I continued to educate myself both on my own and formally, and it helped me continue to grow my career as well. I personally don't think I'd be as far an I am today without my education, maybe that's true or maybe it's not and I'm just trying to justify the time I invested in it. I do however know at my previous job they had a career ladder defined and every position had different job levels one could be at and level X would be determined by 2 things, amount of education and experience. Level X - 5 years experience or 2-3 years experience and a bachelors or 1-2 years experience and a masters.

So the point is large companies look at the total package in an employee, and it's always helpful when you know someone on the inside. If you notice though in the two examples I gave with myself and networker there are a few similarities to it. Both paths took hard work, dedication, and a desire to educate on their own time. If you posses those qualities then you should have the ability to make a situation work for you one way or another.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Definitely take the internship and get any experience you can get your hands on.

50k probably isn't all that far off but you'll definitely have to work for it! I would expect after a year or two of experience you could hit that easily if you put some effort into it.

Part of college is learning to question what others tell you and seek knowledge based in reality. It's unfortunate that you believed everything they "sold" you about making $50k+ out the door but take it as a lesson learned and try to make the best out of your current situation.
  • Options
    eserfelizeserfeliz Member Posts: 134
    I graduated this year, BS MIS from a state school in South Florida. Five years help desk experience, one year network admin experience. 70k to start with benefits three weeks after school ended. Pretty good benefits.

My advice to you is to expand on your degrees and gain some practical IT knowledge, be it through self-study, certifications. My technical interview consisted of seven panelists who grilled me ruthlessly. I couldn't answer everything, but I answered what I knew. I've been here for three months and things are going pretty good.

I wish you nothing but luck.
    MCP, HDI-SCA, MCDST, Network+, MCTS: W7C, MCITP: EDST7, BS: MIS

In progress: MCSA (70-290 & 70-291), CCENT, CCA XenDesktop 5
  • Options
    eserfeliz wrote: »
    I graduated this year, BS MIS from a state school in South Florida. Five years help desk experience, one year network admin experience. 70k to start with benefits three weeks after school ended. Pretty good benefits.

My advice to you is to expand on your degrees and gain some practical IT knowledge, be it through self-study, certifications. My technical interview consisted of seven panelists who grilled me ruthlessly. I couldn't answer everything, but I answered what I knew. I've been here for three months and things are going pretty good.

I wish you nothing but luck.

Based on your list of certifications, I don't think his experience will mirror yours until he has at least 4 years under his belt doing technical things. I earned $70K with no degree three years after leaving the Air Force. You earned your degree already having a a good deal of technical gravitas to your name.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I know many may think this is harsh, but my opinion is that if you do it here you may do it in an interview. Don't mention the associate's degree unless you are giving a backstory on your education after being asked. Sure, list it on your resume in the education section. However, for all intents and purposes, you don't have an associate's degree... you have a bachelor's degree. When I finish my master's degree, I am not going to be talking about the graduate certificates that are a subset of that degree. Once you do something that is part of a greater thing... you did the greater thing. The only way you would list something like that is if it is completely unrelated or it provides additional value above and beyond the bachelors degree. For instance, if you had a bachelor's degree in information systems and you got associate's in nursing or something healthcare related, that would be something to list, especially if you are working for a healthcare provider or insurance company. There are plenty of people that got a bachelor's degree without ever getting an associate's degree because they went straight through.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    If you're capable and willing to drive into Boston I see no reason why you couldn't make over 50k (even doing desktop/help desk work.) If you're in Northern VT that wouldn't really be feasible though.

If I was in your position I'd use my education to try and skip those roles and look more towards IT Project Management / Business Analyst type roles. I see quite a few junior roles and recent grad requests on Dice that might be possible. If you're determined to make it in a technical role then take the internship if you have to as long as it's good job experience and not at a place where you'll be swapping out ink cartridges.