Options

Is CCNA Discovery Enough for CCENT/CCNA?

Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
As the title states, is it enough for me to get through? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yes and no. Id suggest maybe a prep logic guide or quick reference from Cisco and Boson practice test to ensure the pass, but it all depends on your level of understanding. I'm not sure how accurate, but I've heard some say Exploration is a little better at exam preparation.
  • Options
    SecurityThroughObscuritySecurityThroughObscurity Member Posts: 212 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Absolutely not.
    Exploration will cover everything.
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    Absolutely not.

Correct, Exploration covers everything you need to pass the test and a lot more. The detail of Exploration goes far enough beyond the test that it is a little overwhelming. I completed the Exploration course but still studied cert guides before my test. The thing about Academy programs is that it isn't going to give you information on how to pass the test, it actually never even mentions the test except maybe at the very beginning. Academy courses will give you all the information you need, but it won't tell you what is important for the test like a cert guide will. So if you are going to be taking an Net Academy series, you will still benefit from having a Lammel/Odom book solely as a test preparation tool.
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    zrockstar wrote: »
    Correct, Exploration covers everything you need to pass the test and a lot more. The detail of Exploration goes far enough beyond the test that it is a little overwhelming. I completed the Exploration course but still studied cert guides before my test. The thing about Academy programs is that it isn't going to give you information on how to pass the test, it actually never even mentions the test except maybe at the very beginning. Academy courses will give you all the information you need, but it won't tell you what is important for the test like a cert guide will. So if you are going to be taking an Net Academy series, you will still benefit from having a Lammel/Odom book solely as a test preparation tool.

Thanks! Whats the best method to correlate Exploration IV to exam objectives if you do not want to use an all-encompassing study-guide like Lammel or Odom. For example, can we use a quality condensed study guide and maybe your living document found here? This along with some sort of Boson Test Sim?
  • Options
    Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Absolutely not.

So is it still worth studying at least? I also have the CBT Nuggets videos and the Todd Lammle's textbook. Also, is learning and being CCNA certified actually worth it? Man, it is overwhelming! icon_study.gif
  • Options
    SecurityThroughObscuritySecurityThroughObscurity Member Posts: 212 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think that final goal should be CCIE.
    In that case CCNA is totally worth it.
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think that final goal should be CCIE.
    In that case CCNA is totally worth it.

icon_scratch.gif Did I miss something?
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    zrockstar wrote: »

Ok folks, I want everyone's opinions (and facts) on this..

Here is the master plan on how I plan to use my Cisco IV class:

1. As a topic is introduced in the class, I will study that exact same technology in the ICND2 book(s). So that means, I will be utilizing three resources:

a. Net Acad online Exploration 4.0 curriculum/materials
    b. Read the same chapter in the Accessing the WAN Companian Guide(which I love)
    c. read same topic in any of the plethora of ICND2(and ICND1) cert guides I have. (and I got them all)

All the while, I am going to be reading my Dummies CCENT and brushing up on my subnetting and Switching and Routing.

Final step will be some Boson exams but by then, I should be test ready and the Boson will be just a formality to introduce the time factor of the exam.

That's it, it's that simple! (and won't be difficult because I will grasp with interest!)

What do you guys think? (and for those who did it while in Academy)

Wish me luck!
  • Options
    her.yangher.yang Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As far as passing the CCNA goes, I don't know about the Discovery course but I went through all 4 classes of the Exploration course and I'm kind of glad I did because I know a lot more about networking than I actually care to know, thanks to those classes.
  • Options
    Imran_HaiderImran_Haider Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well if you successfully passed CCNA, CCNP and CCIE... You will be able to go ahead for discovery too. It would be really helpful to you..... But you must be focused
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    Well if you successfully passed CCNA, CCNP and CCIE... You will be able to go ahead for discovery too. It would be really helpful to you..... But you must be focused

Sorry, but nobody with a CCNA, CCNP, or CCIE needs the Discovery course. It is the most basic academy course, and from my understanding Discovery is more tailored to high school labs whereas Exploration is more college level.