Options

Design suggestions: redistributing with ospf or eigrp with ASA

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
Just a lab, trying to learn redistribution.

Goal:

1. Setup routing protocol between CE1 and ASA1
2. Setup routing protocol between CE2 and ASA2
3. Inject BGP routes of current CE sites and future CE sites into ASA1 and ASA2

I'm not sure which protocol I should use between CE1 and CE2, and their respective ASA's.

I drew up a combination of eigrp and ospf scenarios and wanted to get some feedback from you guys.

See attached screenshots.

Suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Enjoy setting up those topologies and learning about them. :)
    Suggestions?
    Do you have any specific questions?
  • Options
    Enjoy setting up those topologies and learning about them. :)

Do you have any specific questions?

I've already setup the core bgp topology. I've also done several smaller redistribution labs with just ospf and no ASA's.

My question isn't really specific, it's more of a "which one would you choose and why" question.

My first inclination would be to put CE1, CE2, ASA1, and ASA2 all in ospf area 0. This way only have to redistribute twice, once from bgp into ospf and then ospf into bgp. Plus it'll accomodate for future growth if I have to add directly to CE1 or CE2 with stub areas.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In your shoes, I would be inclined to try topologies 1 (OSPF), 2 (EIGRP), & 5 (OSPF, Multi-Area), because they align most closely with the objectives and complexity of intermediate exams. I often tried the same topology multiple ways while studying for CCNP::Route and CCIP::BGP.

If I had to pick one, I'd pick topology 5, because OSPF is more widely deployed where I work, and this is a bit more complex than the other OSPF topology.

If I had to pick two, I'd pick topology 2 & 5, to cover both protocols.

Do set aside time for practicing OSPF <=> EIGRP redistribution elsewhere. :)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Why not just statically route your IP ranges to the inside of the ASAs and forget about redistribution?

EDIT: Never mind, just realized this is a lab...
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Why not just statically route your IP ranges to the inside of the ASAs and forget about redistribution?EDIT: Never mind, just realized this is a lab...
    I'm trying to stay away from statics, just so I can see how different protocols work with each other.

Here's another one I just put together.

• Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My vote is for pic #5 with ospf multiarea! OOoh and to make it even more fun you can make areas 1 and 2 total stubs!!