Options

Install a IOS into a new router

gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
So tomorrow I going to install a router but I need install the IOS.

So I dont have real equipment to do this you know a little practice. I did this in my CCNA academy days 2 years ago so what I need is.

A console cable
the laptop
the router
if my laptop is the Tftp server Do I need a crossover cable between my laptop and the router? or can I install the IOS just using the console cable.

I am good?

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you want to do your best to ensure it goes smoothly, I'd suggest reading the Cisco installation guide that's relevant for your platform. That would answer the above question and then some!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1900/software/configuration/guide/upgrade.pdf
  • Options
    TehToGTehToG Member Posts: 194
    Eugh, This guy again...

Aren't you supposed to have CCNA and CCNA:S and you can't even do this? You either lied on your CV to get that job or you cheated the test. Either way since you can't explain not knowing the basics I doubt anyone is willing to help you again.

edit: Welp I was wrong. Guess you can abuse the forums then.
  • Options
    phatrikphatrik Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    gouki2005 wrote: »
    if my laptop is the Tftp server Do I need a crossover cable between my laptop and the router? or can I install the IOS just using the console cable.

The copy tftp: flash: command will expect an IP address for the remote host from which you'll be copying the file so using the console cable is out of the question. Regarding the network cable, indeed a cross-over cable will be needed. Think of it this way:

You can use a straight through to connect a PC and a hub
    You can use a straight through to connect a PC and a switch
    You can use a straight through to connect a router and a switch

From the above, you should be able to conclude the receptacles on a router and a PC have the same pin-outs. As a result, you'll need a cross-over.
    2018 goals: Security+, CCNA CyberOps (Cohort #6), eJPT, CCNA R&S 2019 goals: RHCE ????, OSCP || CISSP