Options

About to start studying the A+ for the first time but I need some quick info.

JupiterJazzJupiterJazz Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
1) Are the exams solely written? Or are there hardware problems on the test? Will I be at any point asked to open a computer and plug in this or take apart that or rewire this? Or is it all just answering problems on a worksheet?

2) The only computer I own right now is an apple iMac so I'm planning to buy a new windows machine. Can I buy any basic machine off the shelf and be good with that? Or should I make sure to buy a certain machine with certain components and certain OS's?

3) Apart from the Mike Myers book are there any other supplies I should consider before studying for and taking the exam?

The reason I ask is that I'm trying to figure out the cost of all the stuff I'll need before I start.

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    2) The only computer I own right now is an apple iMac so I'm planning to buy a new windows machine. Can I buy any basic machine off the shelf and be good with that? Or should I make sure to buy a certain machine with certain components and certain OS's?

A warning here. Opening a Windows PC generally voids it's warranty, and you might also be disappointed by how integrated some budget off-the-shelf PCs are. If you're trying to learn about the components of a computer, consider building one from scratch. It would be a wondeful learning process. All the components can be found on NewEgg.com, a simple system can cost as little as $300-$400, and you will typically get more PC for your money than a store-bought system. Plan to set aside a couple days for research and one full day for your first installation, and don't be surprised if you miss an odd item. :)
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    The questions on the 220-701 and 220-702 are all multiple choice. There will be some simlet type questions in the new 220-801 and 220-802 version of the test which is due out very soon. I would study for this version. I assume that a simlet question is where the test taker performs a task in the virtual environment, such as assigning permissions to a file or adding a printer in Windows for example. You won't have to physically assemble a CPU but you will need a fairly deep level of understanding of many various hardware components. If you can build a computer from scratch, and if you have the time and can go into a used parts CPU store, definitely do. It will help.

Make flash cards of all the acronyms and learn them right away. What is UART, SPD, EVDO, ERD, NetBEUI, NTFS, PGA, etc. You don't need to know detailed information about each one at first but should be able to identify the acronym. It has helped me while going through the Meyers book. "Oh, so that's what the universal asynchronous receiver transmitter does!" You can download the objective and list of all them at the CompTIA website.

Read the Meyers book - Take notes and make yourself flash cards. I find that if you take the time to make flash cards while you read the chapter that you can go back and cover the entire chapter in 50-100 flash cards which is a lot quicker than rereading the chapter. I did not make flash cards early-on because I underestimated the content.. Bad idea.. I feel that for the chapters where I made flash cards my memory retention is much higher for those chapters. I make flash cards on quizlet and sync them to my phone. I can easily whip through a chapter when in line at the grocery store, in the bathroom, whenever and wherever I can. haha. It helps a lot.

Find another text as a backup source. Many on these forums recommend ExamCram. I highly recommend multiple sources if you are new to the field. I also think Wikipedia is not a bad source at all. If you really wanted you could find all the information for free on the net. Also, the technotes at this site are pretty damn good as well.

Watch some free A+ videos at Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Certification Training - Great for general review or when you are burned out on reading. Personally, some videos are great and have information not in the Meyers book but the majority of them are extremely cursory review with not enough detail. So if you are new to the topic make sure to read about it.

Look into VMware. This allows you to run numerous operating systems on the same computer. If you have used Virtual PC on the Mac you already have a leg up. So, if you are running Windows 7 and want to run XP or Vista, you can install and launch them as a Virtual Machine right from Windows 7 without having to partition your hard drive and multi-boot. Prof. Messer has a decent video on virtualization and virtualization is part of the new 801 and 802 version of the test. If you are a student, you should be able to get a discount on VM workstation.

Patience is the key to passing the test! It has been a little more than a month of studying for me. I try to read a chapter a day... I am 2 chapters from finishing the Meyers AIO book but I know I have forgotten a lot of content from the earlier chapters... I am so excited to take the test but I know deep down that I am not ready. Yea, I could probably pass but I am in no rush.

Try not to take the practice tests at this site and especially the one at the CompTIA site until you feel you are either close or ready for the real exam. icon_cheers.gif I did take the exam at this site before I started studying and bombed it - which honestly was a reality check. I recently took it again and did much better but did not hit it out of the park. I am not taking the CompTIA practice exam for at least another week.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    superjerelmansuperjerelman Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A warning here. Opening a Windows PC generally voids it's warranty, and you might also be disappointed by how integrated some budget off-the-shelf PCs are. If you're trying to learn about the components of a computer, consider building one from scratch. It would be a wondeful learning process. All the components can be found on NewEgg.com, a simple system can cost as little as $300-$400, and you will typically get more PC for your money than a store-bought system. Plan to set aside a couple days for research and one full day for your first installation, and don't be surprised if you miss an odd item.

You took the words right out of my mouth!
    BS:IT from WGU.
  • Options
    $hortCircuit$hortCircuit Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used Professor Messor, mcse.com, anki flash cards and some practice exams. I've been ready to take it now for 3 months. Just waited for the local tech school to open back up for fall classes. Good luck in your studies
  • Options
    JupiterJazzJupiterJazz Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the answers, tips, and tricks everyone. I really appreciate it.
  • Options
    biker_dudebiker_dude Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The only thing I used to study was Exam Cram and I did very well.