Options

Linux+ Question of the Day

2»

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Ok here's my next one:

Q 8 Which of the following file systems support journaling features?(Choose 2.)

a. ext2
    b. ext3
    c. ReiserFS
    d. Linux Swap
    e. vFAT

Exam Objectives:
    2.7 Configure file systems (e.g., (ext2) or (ext3) or REISER)

Answer: b and c.

Explanation: Both the Reiser file system and the Third Extended file system (ext3) include journaling features that improves a file system's ability to recover from crashes.
  • Options
    copperpotcopperpot Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    b & c
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental

illness."
  • Options
    I just added the first 10 questions to our test engine, you can take them here. :D
  • Options
    copperpot wrote:
    b & c
    correct :)

Q 9. You didn't configure your Ethernet interface to automatically start at boot time. How can you start it manually?

a. ping localhost
    b. ethereal
    c. ipconfig start eth0
    d. ifconfig eth0 up

Answer tomorrow...

Exam Objective: 2.8 Select appropriate networking configuration and protocols (e.g., modems, Ethernet, Token-Ring)
  • Options
    prolificprolific Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    answer is d. :D
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    With most Linux operating systems, where is the location for the compiled kernel?

a. /bin
    b. /root
    c. /homes
    d. /dev
    e. /usr
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    Whoops

Objective 4.5 Manage and navigate the Linux hierarchy
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    Hrm, maybe I've been playing with Red Hat too much, but I could have sworn the common directory for the kernel was /boot
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • Options
    I say d. as well.

illness."
  • Options
    I say the answer is e. for the compiled kernel

illness."
  • Options
    copperpot wrote:
    I say d. as well.

Answer D. is correct.

(Sorry about the delay, have been caught up by the new test engine, I'll try to pick it up again today.)
  • Options
    Anybody like to try again?
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    The compiled kernel goes in e. /usr ... then usually you copy the bzImage file from /usr/src/linux/arch/i386 to /boot/bzImage...

bin is for binary files like ls, rm, etc... so that makes no sense
    root is root's home folder that makes no sense
    no such thing as /homes
    dev is for device files such as harddrive, cdrom, serial ports, etc

so the only reasonable answer would be e. :D
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
  • Options
    I guess this could be kind of tricky - the answer is /bin. Typically it is /bin or /usr /bin (and occasionally, but not often /usr /sbin), so the answer I was looking for was A. /bin because uven in the /usr directory it is in /bin.

Prolific gets 1/2 points for being on the right track icon_wink.gif
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    which distros put the compiled kernel under /bin ? im using gentoo and it is certainly not in /bin .. but under /usr
  • Options
    I was thinking most - my source was the Sybex Linux+ book. Of course, I could be wrong, but asking a friend who deals with many distros he assured me that this was the common location.

We always have to be aware that when it comes to Linux that some of the distros do things in slightly different ways. What we must always remember when sitting Linux+ is what Comptia wants icon_confused.gif Often I completely disagree with them, but if one wants that + certification then we have to put what we know aside and remember what is needed for a pass.
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    Let's continue this thread ;)

10. Which of the following commands can be used to convert Debian software packages to RPM packages?

a. alien --to-rpm solitair.deb
    b. deb -rpm solitair.deb
    c. rpm -rebuild solitair.rpm solitair.deb
    d. rebuild -deb solitair.rpm
    e. convert -rpm solitair.deb

Answer: A. The alien command allows you to convert packages from Debien (.deb), Stampede (.slp), Slackware (.slp), or Red Hat package management (.rpm) to any of those other formats.

Exam objectives:

1.7 Identify strengths and weaknesses of different distributions and their packaging solutions (e.g, tar ball vs. RPM/DEB)

2.17 Install and uninstall applications after installing the operating system (e.g., RPM, tar, gzip)
  • Options
    str8rektstr8rekt Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Indeed, the answer is A.

Here is another one:

11. You have been hired by a medium-sized company to implement hostname resolution, HTTP proxy services on a Linux server. Which of the following should you install? (Choose all that apply.)

a. BIND
    b. SQUID
    c. APACHE
    d. DHCP
    e. SAMBA

Correct Answers: a and b. SQUID is a popular proxy server for LINUX, and BIND is similar to DNS as it provides hostname to IP address resolution, and is popular in UNIX/Linux environments.

Exam objective: 1.6 Identify the function of different Linux services (e.g., Apache, Squid, SAMBA, Sendmail, ipchains, BIND)
  • Options
    LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
    I would say A and C.

I know that BIND is the DNS server, but would the web server also act as a good http proxy???
  • Options
    Thanks for trying. The answers were Squid (proxy and firewall services), and BIND (DNS).

Here's the next, should be easy for those that passed Net+:

12. Which of the following protocols allow you to encrypt a remote adminstration session to your Linux box?

a. Telnet
    b. SSH
    c. RPM
    d. SSL
    e. SNMP
    f. FTP

Answer: b. SSH stands for Secure Shell, which allows the user to open an encrypted remote login on remote servers.

Exam objective: 4.11 Use network commands to connect to and manage remote systems (e.g., telnet, ftp, ssh, netstat, transfer files, redirect Xwindow)
  • Options
    jzlvr1jzlvr1 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, Seeing how no one has answered this question, I will take a stab at it.

I'm going to say B. SSH stands for Secure Shell, which allows the user to open an encrypted remote login on remote servers.

Daryl Rose
  • Options
    Thanks Daryl, for the answer and the explanation ;)

Here's the next:

13. Which of the following file permissions attributes indicates read and write permissions for group public and owner, but no execute permissions?

a. 600
    b. 640
    c. 664
    d. 666
    e. 766
    f. 777

:D
  • Options
    jzlvr1jzlvr1 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've seen this question before. I downloaded some sample questions from some where, maybe from this site, maybe from Transcender. But this one tripped me up. There is no comma between the words group and public and I misread the question. The actual answer is: D.

Daryl Rose
  • Options
    icon_lol.gif I see I posted a question that I already put online in our test engine:

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/coexam/start.php?exam=linux

icon_redface.gif I'll post a new one soon... thanks for the comma ;)
  • Options
    14. Where are user submitted CRON jobs stored?

a. The /var/spool/cron/username file.
    b. The /etc/crontab file.
    c. The /etc/cron.d directory.
    d. The /etc/cron.hourly, /etc/cron.daily, /etc/cron.weekly, and /etc/cron.monthly directories.

Answer: a.

Explanation: The are four locations where CRON jobs can be stored.

- The /var/spool/cron/username file. This file is controlled by individual users, an example is /var/spool/cron/mary, where mary is the username.
    - The /etc/crontab file. This is the system crontab file, and is controlled by root only.
    - The /etc/cron.d directory. Files with the same format as the crontab file can be placed in this directory and is controlled by root only.
    - The /etc/cron.hourly, /etc/cron.daily, /etc/cron.weekly, and /etc/cron.monthly directories. Scripts in these directories run at times specified in the /etc/crontab file and are controlled by root only.

5.2 Verify user and root cron jobs and understand the function of cron.
  • Options
    shubomshubom Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    The correct answer is A. Please read the explanation above.

I'm not going to continue this post (for those who didn't notice that yet ;)), instead I'll add some questions to our Linux+ practice exam. I'm planning on adding 10 today, maybe tomorrow.

Feel free to post your own questions as a reply on this post. If their good, we'll add them to our practice exam.
  • Options
    vantagevantage Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    you should create a hard practice quiz all the ones ive found online havnt really helped