Options

Port stats on a router and a switch

phatrikphatrik Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm using packet tracer to get some hands on experience. While I noticed I can see a port speed an duplex on a switch with "show int fa0/1", I can't seem to find the same information on a router. At first I thought it might have something to do with the fact I hard coded the speed/duplex, but even when setting a port on the router for autoneg I still can't see the info using a "show int" command.

Also, I seem to remember for switches there's a command which would bring up a one-liner, showing something like a-100 and a-full for auto negotiation, but I can't seem to figure out what that command is. I looked at show int/show ip int but couldn't find the right command, I figure I must be overlooking something.

TIA
2018 goals: Security+, CCNA CyberOps (Cohort #6), eJPT, CCNA R&S 2019 goals: RHCE ????, OSCP || CISSP

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    phatrik wrote: »
    I'm using packet tracer to get some hands on experience. While I noticed I can see a port speed an duplex on a switch with "show int fa0/1", I can't seem to find the same information on a router.
    ATL-EDGE-1#sh int fa0/0 | inc Mb/s
    Half-duplex, 10Mb/s, 100BaseTX/FX
  • Options
    TehToGTehToG Member Posts: 194
    What he has done is the command.

Show Interface FastEthernet0/0 | inc Mb/s

The pipe (|) allows you to modify output to show specific things.
  • Options
    I don't know what point you're trying to make. See attached screenshot. There's *definitely* no speed/duplex info in the show int output.
    2018 goals: Security+, CCNA CyberOps (Cohort #6), eJPT, CCNA R&S 2019 goals: RHCE ????, OSCP || CISSP
  • Options
    Type this into the console without the the quotation marks

"Show Interface FastEthernet0/0 | inc Mb/s"
  • Options
    TehToG wrote: »
    Type this into the console without the the quotation marks

"Show Interface FastEthernet0/0 | inc Mb/s"

If you don't have time to look at the screenshot I posted, please don't bother replying.
  • Options
    I can't seem to find the same information on a router.
    I don't know what point you're trying to make. See attached screenshot. There's *definitely* no speed/duplex info in the show int output.
    The point is that is the command you use to determine the speed/duplex on a router.

You are using a simulator called Packet Tracer. Simulators make mistakes and do not always show the real output. I have the output of a real 2621XM in front of me.
  • Options
    If you don't have time to look at the screenshot I posted, please don't bother replying.

I don't get why you're so annoyed. I'm telling you the answer.

Go to console, type in "Show int fa0/0 | include duplex" and it should tell you. Does on my 2621XM
  • Options
    :: ponders why he got a negative rep point for answering this question ::

lol. So is life. Off to the great outdoors. :)

Edit: Nevermind, balance in this world has been restored!
  • Options
    Does it really matter, Is rep even visible anywhere?
  • Options
    I don't get why you're so annoyed. I'm telling you the answer.

In my original post, I made it clear I was already using "show int faX/X". The fact you've posted twice telling me again to run that exact same command either means you assumed I was blind and didn't see the output even though it was there, or maybe you skimmed over my original post instead of taking time to read everything and didn't notice I was using packet tracer. See NetworkVeteran's 2nd reply, there's the correct answer.
  • Options
    To be fair, I assumed you to be at fault because a google search provides the info you wanted. You asked how it was done, we told you.
  • Options
    To be fair, I assumed you to be at fault because a google search provides the info you wanted. You asked how it was done, we told you.

I accept the fact you were too lazy to look at my screenshot and notice there's no such information shown. Don't worry about it :)
  • Options
    I did look at your screen shot, I did notice the lack of duplex information and I presumed it was a nuance of Packet tracer. Having never used it myself I could not tell. I fired up a Cisco 2651XM to test it for you and get you an accurate working command. If I'm guilty of anything it's not knowing packet tracer.