Options

Is the A+ certification still Relevant

klhatchettklhatchett Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey All, I have been contemplating between pursuing the A+ and Network+ certifications, but people keep telling me the A+ certification is pretty much useless, just wanted input from professionals who have actually worked in the IT field on what I should do (the people who have been telling me it is useless are college students themselves who do not hold any certifications), I am currently an Info Security student so I will definitely will be getting my Security+ certification, but I am unsure if it will be a waste to go after the A+ and/or Network+

Thanks
Look me up on LinkedIn, Lets Connect! http://www.linkedin.com/in/klhatchett92

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I suppose it depends on what is meant by useless and a waste.

I don't understand why someone that is starting off in their IT career would say that learning new relevant knowledge is useless or a waste. If you already know the material that is covered in the A+ then it may not be worth the effort.
  • Options
    The A+ is mandatory for many employers and almost all jobs where you touch hardware with your grubby little paws, so you should obtain it. Is it relevant? Sort of. Much of the material is throw-away knowledge that you're not going to retain after you've taken the exam but it does serve it's purpose.
  • Options
    paul78 wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on what is meant by useless and a waste.

I don't understand why someone that is starting off in their IT career would say that learning new relevant knowledge is useless or a waste. If you already know the material that is covered in the A+ then it may not be worth the effort.

Haha same thing I said when they told me that, but most people my age that are doing something related to IT are a bit cocky and feel that its not necessary to get anything beyond the degree. I cannot afford to think like that, so I am open to really obtaining any certification that can help me land a job. And by useless I believe they meant most employers did not require the certification
  • Options
    $hortCircuit$hortCircuit Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm not in the best area "economically" for tech jobs. But for the most part 9 out of 10x they require that JUST to get in as entry level. I have seen people get zapped from reaching in a case before unplugging it. POP FIZZZZZZ
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For me the A+ was something I got to help me get that entry level job. Did it help??? Yes, in my case it did. Will I ever need it or have to put it on my resume again??? Probably not (however you never know). The Net+ is something I got to help me get a job as well, however it ended up being a foundation for Cisco.

I personally think that an A+ will help you more than anything getting into the field with no experience even with a degree. When I say "help" I mean that the A+ will keep your resume from ending up in the trash and on the phone interveiw pile. Your interviewing / people skills will help you more than anything past that. Experience is something you should be working while going to school, even if you have to volunteer. A goal of yours (IMO) is getting out of school with not just education but experience which reigns supreme in getting a job. Even if you have 1 year you will find yourself a world ahead of everyone you graduate with.
  • Options
    Definitely what I am trying to do now, gain as much experience as possible, I will probably just go after all three
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    klhatchett wrote: »
    Haha same thing I said when they told me that, but most people my age that are doing something related to IT are a bit cocky and feel that its not necessary to get anything beyond the degree.
    Well, if their goal involves doing something other than fixing PCs, printers, and other common hardware they are right on the money not getting an A+. There was never a point in my career where it would've been a good plan for me. I would encourage them/you to get whatever certifications and experience you can related to your dream job or ideal first job. :)
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,029 Admin
    The information in the A+ material is very worthwhile to know, but you don't need to actually get the A+ cert to learn it. Unless you are applying for jobs that are looking for candidates with the A+ cert, you should look to certs that are more relevant to your career goals.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    For me the A+ was something I got to help me get that entry level job. Did it help??? Yes, in my case it did. Will I ever need it or have to put it on my resume again??? Probably not (however you never know). The Net+ is something I got to help me get a job as well, however it ended up being a foundation for Cisco.

I personally think that an A+ will help you more than anything getting into the field with no experience even with a degree. When I say "help" I mean that the A+ will keep your resume from ending up in the trash and on the phone interveiw pile. Your interviewing / people skills will help you more than anything past that. Experience is something you should be working while going to school, even if you have to volunteer. A goal of yours (IMO) is getting out of school with not just education but experience which reigns supreme in getting a job. Even if you have 1 year you will find yourself a world ahead of everyone you graduate with.

Thank you for confirming my thoughts. I'm attempting to land an entry level IT gig and it seems like that won't occur won't I either finish school or get my certification 1st.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    Im planning on taking the 2nd part to a+ this weekend. Im in WGU right now and Im hoping the A+ will help some in getting a new job. I definately need a increase in salary..
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The A+ got me my start in the field at a very young age. It can still do that for anyone. It's basic and really only proves elementary skills for entry-level jobs. That's exactly what an inexperienced IT professional needs. It's fast and easy to get an A+ and start getting an experience. I agree that someone who knows for sure they want to go into a networking or programming route shouldn't waste their time, but anyone pursuing a more generalized career or a sysadmin direction is wise to start with it.

It's still relevant in the market and as for what it teaches. That doesn't mean it's for everyone. It's definitely not for experienced professionals who already have the knowledge. If you have skills (and certifications) that exceed that of a PC tech/DST/helpdesk analyst there's obviously no need for it.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    The A+ got me my start in the field at a very young age. It can still do that for anyone. It's basic and really only proves elementary skills for entry-level jobs. That's exactly what an inexperienced IT professional needs. It's fast and easy to get an A+ and start getting an experience. I agree that someone who knows for sure they want to go into a networking or programming route shouldn't waste their time, but anyone pursuing a more generalized career or a sysadmin direction is wise to start with it.

It's still relevant in the market and as for what it teaches. That doesn't mean it's for everyone. It's definitely not for experienced professionals who already have the knowledge. If you have skills (and certifications) that exceed that of a PC tech/DST/helpdesk analyst there's obviously no need for it.

I agree. A+ was my first cert and it helped me get my foot in the door. I think it's especially beneficial for someone new to IT, but it loses value as you gain experience and increase your education.