Options

How related is CEH to CISSP? which one is recommend to pursue?

IlikeITIlikeIT Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
CISSP or CEH in more demand?

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□

A quick national job search turns up 31 hits for CEH and 891 hits for CISSP.

I'm not in security, but I am voting for CISSP. :p

(EDIT: The top salaries posted for CISSP jobs are also higher.)
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Dice and Monster are great to check whick certs are in demand by hiring managers. Security researchers favor the technicsl security certs.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It also depends on what type of job you are seeking. The CISSP is a broad certification and typically expected to hold by infosec professionals.
  • Options
    captchaguycaptchaguy Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    IlikeIT wrote: »

Hi IlikeIT,

Here are my two cents:

a) CISSP is a mid-management/management level certification; Requires a high level overview and a bit of 'not so technical' thought process. There are references in the some of the forums that 'not being technical almost helps to clear CISSP exam'. But as you know, opinions are personal. CEH is more technical in nature and passing which needs some hands on.
    b) CISSP is often defined as the 'gold standard' for INFOSEC management. CEH can add good value addition for the technical track, but is not as often quoted as a requirement for positions.
    b) In case of CISSP, the sheer volume of content to be understood and absorbed, and the way ISC2 closely safeguards the exam content,pass ratios and the rigor of certification are few differentiators; This doesn't make CEH any less tough with the amount of technical knowledge needed to sit for the exam, but appearance of **** and certification requirements also matter in the presumed value.
    c) Also depends on the position you are applying to and the track you would plan to take up (tech vs mgmt).

Regards
    CAPTCHAguy
  • Options
    sgarza85sgarza85 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Expanding a bit on Captchaguy's post, they complement each other well in my opinion. CISSP is "a mile wide and an inch deep". CEH is "an inch wide and a mile deep". If you can, get both. CISSP will get your noticed by the hiring authority/HR, CEH (if you are going technical and not management) will likely serve you better once you get the job.

CEH also made CISSP much easier for me to pass personally as I was able to focus on the management side of CISSP (DRP/BCP) more than the technical areas like encryption.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    kalkan999kalkan999 Member Posts: 269 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Very good posts guys...
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    CISSP is more in demand, but I find that CEH complements it well. They're two sides to the same coin - so if you get both, you'll have a greater base of knowledge with which to draw upon.

But, if you're just looking at it salary-wise, definitely CISSP.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Although i dont have the CISSP certification (which i will probably pursue after my masters) i agree that both certifications complements each other well. CISSP is more a security management certification where you should have a broad understanding of Information Assurance, while CEH is more of a technical certification which covers a lot of important security topics. CEH will provide you with defensive and ofensive security concepts which today is important. Good luck.
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • Options
    krolyatkrolyat Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with the posters above that both certifications compliment each other. I chose to take the C|EH first and then just passed my CISSP this past week.
    (ISC)2: CISSP Comptia: A+, N+, Cloud+ Ec-Council: C|EH v6 Apple: ACSP 10.5

.:. Not your average chic .:.