Options

What software programs must a Security professional have?

IlikeITIlikeIT Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
like Nessus, Cain Able, Wireshark, TCPdump . what are most demand programs? I can google them but want feedback from other IT pros thanks

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The tool of choice will depend on what you do. I happen to be in Infosec management so the tool that I use most is Microsoft Word, followed by Acrobat.

As for technical tools, the ones that I generally use in my personal lab are WebScarab, Burp, Metasploit, Nmap, and Snort. I use Wireshark as my protocol analyser of choice.

There really isn't such a thing as an in-demand tool. It depends on what problem you are trying to solve.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    paul78 wrote: »
    I happen to be in Infosec management so the tool that I use most is Microsoft Word, followed by Acrobat.
    I'm really surprised to hear someone in management not list Microsoft Excel as their #1 tool. Most managers that I know (both people and project) use Excel to write most of their documentation too. Excel is probably the most used business app in the world; those that truly know how to use it well are highly prized in business.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Lol - Yes - I use Excel a lot but not in the context of InfoSec. My use of Excel limited to budget and forecast preparation not Infosec related. Although, I do review a lot of spreadsheets from others.

If we are talking about which tool I use the most in my daily grind - that would be Outlook, then Word, then Excel, then Powerpoint. Pretty sad huh icon_cry.gif

If I had to guess about the most "in-demand" tool to learn in general - I bet that would be Microsoft Office.
  • Options
    kalkan999kalkan999 Member Posts: 269 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Access 2010 and Project. I usually use these now in concert with SharePoint. Project Managers would do well in my humble opinion to know the basic functionality of SharePoint. Tracking is easier, and if I need the additional flexibility of excel, or need to provide redacted information as a 'need-to-know', then I will use Excel. Acrobat for digitally signing when I am not using my DoD CAC. I have an old MOUS cert for excel 2000, but it didn't really help boost my career.