Options

OSI versus TCP/IP model

BobbyBrown123BobbyBrown123 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I understand the differences between the two models, what I am unsure of is what model is best for troubleshooting. In other words, if I am going to learn a model inside and out, am I better off learning the OSI or the TCP/IP model? Which model is more commonly used in businesses? Is the OSI model becoming outdated?

Comments

• Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Learn both.
    The OSI model is not outdated and most used especially during troubleshooting. You will learn how to troubleshoot things like why your PC is not connected to the internet, networking, functionality of applications, connectivity, routing, and in general a great deal of the basics.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    what model is best for troubleshooting. In other words, if I am going to learn a model inside and out, am I better off learning the OSI or the TCP/IP model? Which model is more commonly used in businesses?
    For troubleshooting, the OSI model. It's more frequently used, covers more layers, and is more rigorously defined. Learning it "inside and out" isn't necessary, but you should know roughly what the task of each layer is and at which layers the major protocols we use today best fit. Enough to communicate well with others and own this in your troubleshooting toolbox.

(Of course, it's not an either/or game, and it's possible to learn both like most engineers.)
    Is the OSI model becoming outdated?
    Nope. It's a model, it's not reality. You will sometimes see mismatches between the two, but more often than not it's quite helpful when describing or solving problems. :)
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    The OSI model is an abstraction of all possible network designs and is used as the base of all network implementations (TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, NetBIOS, AppleTalk, etc.). The TCP/IP model is used specifically for implementing TCP/IP networks.

It's a TCP/IP-dominated cyberverse, so you need both.