Options

Questioning

sharpy56sharpy56 Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
Is it worth while staying in a job that your not happy in? What would your advice be, if you actually do not feel like going into work some days, is this a common feeling across the board ?

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It's definitely a common feeling, a lot of us aren't 100% happy, or happy at all, with our jobs. If you're feeling like you don't want to be there much longer, it's time to update your resume and start looking at those job-boards.

It's also a good time to look at your certs and training, compare it to what employers are asking for in the job-descriptions of the kinds of positions you'd want to apply for, and start hitting the books. I know it can feel depressing to be in a place you don't want to be, but it can also be a good motivator to get out and climb up the ladder to something you really want to do.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Are you sure that another position is capable of making you feel better? -I'm pretty certain I will always have days where I would rather be out doing other things but I still enjoy my position.

Also don't forget to consider your current mental state. For example, someone who is depressed isn't likely to find enjoyment in any job that they have. Is it a problem with yourself or the position?

If you truly believe that another position would make you feel better then start applying.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Foolish to stay in a job you dont enjoy. You spend 50-60%+ of your waking life at work, why wast that time not being happy.

The question to ask is

are you not happy in the field you work in, or are you just not happy in the position you have managed to reach with in that field?

If it is the field as a whole then its time to have a complete change, on the other hand if its just the position and you want to move on then just understand that so does every one else, and the only way to get the job you want is to put in the work and prove you are the best and deserve it.

Any job is what you make of it, and while the early time can be hard and tedious, they are a great place to learn the ropes and develop skill for later on.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    sharpy56sharpy56 Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks that sounds really good, and yes it is a good motivator