Putting It Out There

Henry is GodHenry is God Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
I need to just get this off my chest and see what you guys think:

I get offered this job that I have accepted and due to start within 2 weeks with a Networking company with only 6 paid employees. Long story short the owner/director seems to be punching above his weight and has a big contract that he does not have the skilled workforce to cope with and outsources it again in order to service the work.

I have met him twice and he seems a decent guy but his communication is often very poor, if at all, and it all just strikes me as slightly crazy to be honest. Only done one job with his company which was an overnight gig with only 3 hours notice and involved the replacement and installation of switches and a power supply. No hotel, no details of what tools I needed, no saying if it was over night, just a train ticket and a where to go. I did meet up with another guy down there but he didn't seem to be all that clued up in all honesty.

He has said he plans to train me in x, y, and z and really filled me with confidence, but then came out with 'if it doesn't work out we can shake hands and go our seperate ways'. Part of me thinks I should be pleased with the opportunity but another part has alarm bells ringing and get the feeling I could be back to square one in a few months.

I just needed to run this by people that understand the industry. I am fresh out of university with my Systems & Networking degree and have my CCNA under my belt, so in a way beggars can not be choosers I suppose.

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You're coming out of graduation? I'd take it. It definitely sounds risky.

If nothing else, it's an experience of what to look out for.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Henry is GodHenry is God Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    You're coming out of graduation? I'd take it. It definitely sounds risky.

If nothing else, it's an experience of what to look out for.

Graduated in June. The job market is still not really up to speed over here so I was lucky to get the opportunity. The only other tabled offer I had is/was a Helpdesk role that was small money, but a large company with opportunity for progression. The salary was very low though, and in no way being arrogant, I thought I was worth more that even though just out of university.

I think just some of the things just don't add up with the company I have accepted the offer with. If it was all straight and narrow, which it never is, it would be a great opportunity.
  • taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    If you're just out of school and don't have a family to support then I would say just go for it. If it doesn't pan out then now you have your degree, your CCNA, and job experience to put on your resume for the next position. If you start there and things start seeming a little fishy then get your resume out there while you're still working.
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I'd say that it sounds a bit risky but sometimes those come with the best rewards. You could potentially learn a lot and it would be great experience to move elsewhere for higher pay if necessary.

If you can afford to take the risk then go for it!
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    yeap go for it especially if your goal is to do networking. A lot of people looking to do networking have to go threw help-desk or desk-side first ( I know not everyone did!) but if you can break in this way and go ahead and start getting into the gear, your next job should look real bright. Get in there and fire away manicon_exclaim.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would probably be leery of leaving a stable positon for this opportunity but if there was nothing else relevant on the table I would take it and run with it. Just remember to take every opportunity to learn. Make sure you are always challenged.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.