Options

Microsoft Surface tablet to start around $300

erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Microsoft Surface tablet to start around $300 - Yahoo! News
Ballmer also made clear that Microsoft has no interest in getting into a price war with Amazon or Google by offering low-cost 7-inch Surface tablets because he wants people to see the Surface as a professional device that can be used for work as well as media consumption.“If you say to somebody, would you use one of the 7-inch tablets, would somebody ever use a Kindle to do their homework?” he asked rhetorically. “The answer is no; you never would. It’s just not a good enough product. It doesn’t mean you might not read a book on it.”

That is exactly what I want...a device that is portable, that's light, that can be used for casual media consumption; without resorting to an ultrabook/netbook/laptop, etc. My android tablet is 100% horrible as a production device (e.g. writing papers, RDPing to my work computer--it can be done, but it is NOT very good or convenient...)

I'm really liking MS' strategy so far.....(so far.....)

Comments

• Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am too. I'm writing this on Windows 8, and honestly I really like it. Their app stores isn't the greatest, but it will have choices in time. There are lots of Windows developers out there. I think Windows 8 & the tablet have real potential but I'd imagine it'll be a corporate thing more than a consumer thing. With the built in Windows VPN (directaccess) it's possible to add these things to a domain...email, file shares, etc.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't have an interest in RT because if I am going to rely on apps then I at least want decent apps. And iOS/Android has that market. I can see Microsoft making good grounds in the corporate environment by making deals with licensing.

Now Windows 8 Professional would be my next laptop since x86 applications would "work" so it would be convenient for me. If I can just grab the tablet portion of my laptop to study on the couch then that would be a big plus for me.