Options

Any Symantec Endpoint Protection Enterprise users?

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
I'm looking to change out my endpoint protection from Trend Micro (crap) to something better. So far Symantec EP 12.1 is the only thing on my list. I'm looking for something with AD/LDAP integration, roaming profile option, and some variant of a proxy feature. Any suggestions are appreciated. About 250 seats.

Comments

• Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Had Symantec at a place I used to work, didn't like it. Had much better luck with VIPRE.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    phoeneous wrote: »
    I'm looking to change out my endpoint protection from Trend Micro (crap) to something better. So far Symantec EP 12.1 is the only thing on my list. I'm looking for something with AD/LDAP integration, roaming profile option, and some variant of a proxy feature. Any suggestions are appreciated. About 250 seats.

There is a reason why I call it "Symantec Suckpoint Protection".
  • Options
    tripleatriplea Member Posts: 190 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We have it and use it ( 200 users ) and its quite autonimated.

Pretty good but have had a couple of manual fixers required when SEP couldnt do it. SEP could sort one but MS MSERT did, wouldnt have expected that!

We team it up with TMG.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We're moving to Sophos. Cheaper and they offer a cloud based option which appealed to us.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Been using SEP for the last few years. We have the 12.1 version running at the moment, 3 sites, 200+ machines. Licensing can be a bit pricey especially when VMs come into the mix but other than that its not resource intensive like its previous versions and it gets the job done. To test that theory we ran a full virus scan on some test machines without the users knowledge and no one was the wiser, no complaints about machines being sluggish or anything. Previous versions had users all a bother. :)

Anything specific you looking to discover?
    God deserves my best
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    We used to have SEP but dropped it for Vipre Business (back then it was Enterprise). Haven't looked back since. SEP let in too many infections and had a nasty habit of duplicating files in the quarantine no matter how many times they said they "patched" the issue. We would have machines that could generate 40-50g worth of duplicated quanantine files in a day or two until I changed the policy to control it. And don't get me started on the false positives.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ugh, Symantec Enpdoint Protection. Yes it can detect an infection, but protect from it or clean it up? No. More often than not I end up cleaning it up with Malwarebytes. I'm glad we were able to get Tech licenses for MBAM or it would be a pain to clean up infections.
  • Options
    Geek1969Geek1969 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    We also used to have Endpoint. We recently moved to Eset. The jury is still out, but Symantec will not be hard to beat in my book.
    We nicknamed it "Me Too", because it would only pop an alert that it detected an infection if we were scanning a machine with Malwarebytes at the same time.
    WIP:
    ROUTE
  • Options
    PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    Used SEP for a couple years, was a joke. Countless infections, even a worm that infected 60% of our roughly 275 endpoints at the time, huge manual cleanup with a smattering of touching each machine and scripts to stop the spread. Not one peep out of SEP and it was a 2 year old worm at the time. Switched to SOPHOS in early 2011 and will never look back. As stated it is cheaper, and we have not had a single problematic infection. On what is now 400 endpoints. We do get the occasional Trojan or malware dropper, but Sophos catches it and I can clean it and clear the error right from he console.

Dont. Get. SEP.

Shoot me a PM if you want and I'll hook you up with the contact info for a guy at Sophos, they will bend over backwards to demo it for you, good people, good product.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We are using SEP globally on 5000+ workstation and it seems to do the trick.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    al3kt.R***al3kt.R*** Member Posts: 118
    SEP here too for around 2000 users & 120 servers (both VM and physical). We are "stuck" with Symantec the last decade or so!!!
    Many bugs and trouble (false positives & negatives) witnessed throughout these years, but not so many lately and not as much memory and processor consumption.
    I like the heuristics integration the Proactive Threat Protection brings, scalability of the admin console is good too, if lines between remote installations are decent.

Are Sophos or NOD32 a lot better than SEP regarding pricing models, usability, administration and effectiveness?
    If your experience with them or other alternatives is good enough and you are satisfied please share your thoughts icon_wink.gif. We are always on the look for the better products for a given job.
    "Tigranes: Good heavens! Mardonius, what kind of men have brought us to fight against? Men who do not compete for possessions, but for honour."--- Herodotus, The Histories
    "Nipson anomemata me monan opsin"--- Gregory of Nazianzus
    "Bruce Schneier's secure handshake is so strong, you won't be able to exchange keys with anyone else for days."--- Bruce Schneier Facts
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    When evaluating AV products, I highly recommend looking at the AV client side foot print. This will become a big issue in your Org if you have older (2+ years) laptops. I'm not saying this is the most important decision, but it definitely should factor in or you will have a lot of unhappy clients.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Used SEP for a couple years, was a joke. Countless infections, even a worm that infected 60% of our roughly 275 endpoints at the time, huge manual cleanup with a smattering of touching each machine and scripts to stop the spread. Not one peep out of SEP and it was a 2 year old worm at the time. Switched to SOPHOS in early 2011 and will never look back. As stated it is cheaper, and we have not had a single problematic infection. On what is now 400 endpoints. We do get the occasional Trojan or malware dropper, but Sophos catches it and I can clean it and clear the error right from he console.

Dont. Get. SEP.

Shoot me a PM if you want and I'll hook you up with the contact info for a guy at Sophos, they will bend over backwards to demo it for you, good people, good product.

Does it do LDAP/AD integration for proxy stuff? I need to setup my AD groups with different whitelist/blacklist profiles.