Options

Temporary job offer... well sorta

I got a call from a recruiter about a temp desktop support job for 10 bucks a hour, 3 to 8 month contract. I make 13 a hour now not being in IT and live alone and pay rent. I'm pretty strapped for cash now but if I take this lower paying job how can I adjust? I was thinking of just paying my rent but staying over someone elses house. cutting out the gym, and just living rough...

what do you think?

Didn't get the job but they like the fact that I have the A+ so they'll consider me.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You have to keep the bills paid. That would be my number one priority. I'd ask for more money. I'm sure there is a bit of wiggle room in there and you might get close to what you are making now.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Main EventMain Event Member Posts: 124
    I'm gonna go for the interview next week and see what I can do. I have sick days to use lol. I just renewed my lease last month but before that I was comtemplating moving back home to find these same entry level jobs to build up my resume, if I didn't have rent I'd take it in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm sure a lot of people are going to give you the advice to just take the job for the experience, but I don't think I'd even be willing to flip burgers for $10 an hour. Try to talk them up.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    When I did contract work for Robert half and such, I'd normally start at lower price and ask for a contingency after 3 months for raise in pay, maybe only a dollar or two, worked half the time might be worth a shot.
  • Options
    KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with taking a cut for the experience, but only if you can afford to take the pay cut. In this situation, it doesn't sound like the right opportunity for you at $10/hr. The other thing to look at is will they extend the contract or is it only 3-8 months period? Taking a pay cut that will leave you strapped and knowing that in X amount of time you will be out of a job will be extremely stressful. To some that may be worth it. Is it worth it to you?

As others have stated, see if they can pay more. Quite frankly, there are a lot of companies that low ball because they can, and others just start lower than they expect to pay for the position to see if someone will bite. If you are working with a recruiter then that can be a pain too as they submit you at a rate before you get to the interview, but they often times still have some wiggle room.

Best of Luck!
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!