Options

Looking for assistance

Dante7176Dante7176 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all, I am 28 years old and I have been thinking a lot lately of moving into the IT world. I really like Networking and feel I can learn a lot and grow in the field. I currently work for a call center and I have BA in Cinema and Digital arts and AS in Graphic Design. I have knowledge in software but not a lot in hardware. I really want to get into a field that I can grow with.

I recently picked up a book to get me ready for the CCENT Certification, I am just wondering if this would be a good starting point for a career. I also am wondering if someone with my background will be able to get into networking industry without going to school for it. I know what some of you are thinking and it really comes down to if I can teach myself. I have the drive and passion to learn everything and get Certified, I am mostly looking to find if taking the CCENT test is the first step and allow me to break into this industry.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    In this industry more than most it all comes down to experience. So the hardest thing you will face is getting someone to give you that first shot without any previous experience. Going the CCENT route definitely will help. Personally I'd just go straight for the CCNA and not worry about the CCENT. You should be able to use your call center experience as an advantage to get into a NOC or similar type role doing a lot of phone work.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agreed - The above linked thread really should be a sticky if it isn't already.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Dante7176 wrote: »
    I am mostly looking to find if taking the CCENT test is the first step and allow me to break into this industry.

The CCNA is a better entry-level certification for that, but the CCENT will help you earn your CCNA, so get on with your studying and best of luck to you. :)
  • Options
    Hey all! thank you all so much, I am reading the tutorial and i think i will take the two test since I dont know as much as i would like. I do appreciate all the inspiration. I figure I will study my butt off and hope a Help Desk position opens up here and move into their IT department.
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dante7176 wrote: »
    I know what some of you are thinking and it really comes down to if I can teach myself. I have the drive and passion to learn everything and get Certified, I am mostly looking to find if taking the CCENT test is the first step and allow me to break into this industry.

Yes, but experience is going to be a struggle for not only you but for any employer willing to take on a complete green bean entry-level worker. I would try to get IT experience part-time as a part-time job somewhere while you study because you have to have some practical, real-world experience to put on your resume along with the networking certs etc. PART-TIME IT JOB is in your very near future!
  • Options
    Thanks Illumanati, I have a few options i am working on! Either going on the Help Desk team at my call center, or i have a friend who works for a company and he told me to get my cert and he will bring me on staff! Heres hoping I need a job that i find some reward in!!!