Windows Server 2008 Unleashed

ForeverIT27ForeverIT27 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
A few people have recommended this book and I was wondering which one of them to get, there a few different Authors and I was wondering which is the best of them. I would appreciate all recommendations and opinions. By the way, I'm studying for 70-640.

Thanks

Comments

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Make sure you get the R2. Amazon carries it. Good read.

Amazon.com: server 2008 r2 unleashed
  • ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    The 640 covers a lot of ground. Or more correctly stated: Active Directory covers a lot. I'm in the middle of studying it now, and (for reasons unknown) I began breaking it into two areas: 1) group policy and 2) the rest.

I rely on Microsoft's 70-640 Toolkit book (edition 1 for server 2008, and edition 2 for server 2008 R2) as my introductory guide into a topic. It includes labs with each section, and often I'll do a lab before reading the subject matter that is associated with that lab. Makes the material less "dry" and I can relate to it better that way. Once I get a decent understanding of a topic, I'll delve into Technet for the "real" education. And of course, lab, lab.

That approach wasn't working well with the group policy stuff, so I bought a really great book to help out there. It is Group Policy, written by Jeremy Moskowitz (2010). When getting it I became worried about how thick it was. But reading it is enjoyable to the point of sometimes not wanting to put it down. The author writes in an entertaining way, and goes into each gpo in considerable depth. I'm about finished with the book, and I feel like I've worked with group policy for several years. (We'll see if this feeling is correct when I take the 70-640.)

Good luck on your studies
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I didn't find it particularly groundbreaking for 70-643, but the 640-related material looks pretty good.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340