Were you ever stuck in 2nd gear and redlined your engine? (this isn't a car post....)

2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was.......very few times in my life. This is the best way to describe the CCNA in my very personal exerience.

I'm trying to find the "light at the end of the tunnel"...........icon_rolleyes.gif

I started in 2010 with 6 months of studying and a bootcamp, $2300 later, I did not pass, scored 650.

I then decided that the bootcamp was a waste of $$$ and that I'm never doing so again. I bought the simulator software and tried that, plus some more reading.

August, 2011, and did not pass. 710 was the score, and I couldn't even beat the clock. The simulators seemed like a snake that was going to bite me.

Bought my own rack, figured, I can try different things to achieve different results.

Took the exam yesterday 09/18, had enough sleep and a good breakfast. The good news is that I finished the exam with 6 minutes left on the clock.

I can only guess I did not do that well on the questions, since my score was 700............."YOU DID NOT PASS"

No @#$@$@$, tell me something that I don't already know I thought to myself.

So it's been 2 years, lots of $$$ spent and no CCNA.

I'm a great troubleshooter at work....I'm trying to figure out what to do next

1. Take the CCENT maybe?

2. Retake the CCNA in 2-3 weeks...?

I see alot of people get 830 or 840.........I honestly want to score higher than that, right now I pray that I can even get an 800.

$295 gone.

icon_study.gificon_study.gif
A+
Network+
CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What material have you been using to study?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

I'm curious as well. Also, I think you might be better off taking the CCENT and then studying for the second half of the CCNA.
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agreed, I'd like to see the material as well.

Regarding the CCENT, that might be a good idea - At least then you know it will be a more narrow scope, and can narrow your studying. And perhaps getting that CCENT accomplishment will rekindle your motivation and self-esteem.
  • MJohnsonresMJohnsonres Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that..........! icon_sad.gif
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/81293-how-study-ccent-ccna-tutorial.html

I'd go the 2 test route. Really. Not to downplay skills or knowledge. It's easier for loose 150 instead of 300 bucks. At that way atleast you'd have something to show for your efforts... and that little boost or moral can do a lot to help you study. I can't really tell you how much saying to myself "I did it before, I can do it again" helped.

Let the successes accelerate you, and your failures crumble in your wake!

I came here because I thought this was a car thread. I shall make it so:

I redlined my RX-8. Best sound I've ever heard from my old car, besides startup. I redlined a SRT challenger last night... because it wasn't mine :D. I like stock engine notes. *shrug*
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    As others, curious about the material. I do very minimal Cisco stuff. If I had to estimate I would say my last two roles combined had less than 1% of Cisco related tasks. For my CCENT I used mainly Odom and Lammle along with a physical lab and passed on the first try. I studied hard for 4 months and labbed anything I could find remotely related to CCENT. Perhaps you should give the CCENT a shot.
  • 2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□

oh boy, where do I start:

1. Cisco Official 640-802 books. ($70)

2. The boot camp and their books. ($2300)

3. Cisco official simulator (whatever that's called), Cisco video mentor. ($200)

4. The Ultimate CCNA study guide by Chris Bryant. ($150 or so)

5. Transcender exam practice engine. ($150)

6. My Cisco rack that I bought. (best investment so far, $480)

7. Various practice tests that I found on the internet. (FREE)

8. Some articles and videos from Cisco.com (FREE)
    A+
    Network+
    CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
    ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'll say best bet is to go the 2 exam route. Going for the composite exam can be a bit tough especially since you are not 100% on the material. It's more of a race against time. Whatever section your scored low in go over that material thoroughly. I did take a ccna class all I really learned was some general things but mastered subnetting. It was way too much information to digest and it was a month long. I could only imagine them shoving info down your throat at a week long bootcamp. After the class was over I used chris bryant ultimate study guide, watching cbt nuggets, labbing, labbing, and did I mention labbing. I learned more studying on my own then I did in that class.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would say stick to one resource, a book, and hit the exam. I can't help but think you may be getting overwhelmed because of all the material you are using. Oh, and lab, lab, lab.
    Well resources certainly aren't a problem so I'd assume study habits and/or motivation are to blame. What is your routine like?

I disagree with the two test route as I really don't see any upside and if you aren't a good 'tester' this would actually be a hindrance rather than a help. The way I see it is you have to learn the material no matter what and the less trips to the testing center the better. It's really not that much material to digest and splitting it just seems like a waste of time and energy to me. I'd also much rather one test of half 'easy' questions and half 'hard' questions than one test full of the hard questions.
    ^ It has been two years, and he's been to the testing center more than once already. As far as convenience is concerned, he passed that point a long time ago IMO.

Regarding the one test route - Do we know for a fact it's 1/2 CCENT questions, and 1/2 ICND2 questions? I would assume Cisco has a third pool of questions that integrates both at the same time. I'm sure there are SOME straight CCENT-level questions in the composite exam, but I would be surprised if it was cut down the middle like that.
    Maybe he just doesn't quite get it yet. There is clearly some aspect of the material he's not fully understanding. I remember when I took it the first time and failed I made it a point to understand the dynamics of whatever question that gave me trouble. I tackled the the test next time and passed it.
    If it's a testing pool of questions, I believe, they don't get counted into the score. So they would have to be ICND1/2 questions that count.

Im sure they just pick random X from pool A and Pool B. But it's speculation, but it makes sense as it would be less updating.

He's got the materials. He's got the equipment. He just need to buckle down and focus on one thing at a time.

It's half a mile, instead of a mile wide. Not to mention, it's cheaper, financially. Im sure he's already invested this much into a test, He'd like to see some ROI. CCENT is 50% of CCNA, cost wise and nets him a piece of paper and a plastic card. He's been rolling for a Hard six. But never got that Six.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Right, he's already tested multiple times. Why add even more exams onto it? He's seen the composite and knows what it entails. Seems like it would be the logical choice to keep on this track as he's almost there rather than splitting stuff up and starting a new.

No, we don't know for certain, but there has to be at least some ICND1 level questions on there. What would be the point of having a separate test if all it asked was ICND2 level questions? Either way its all speculation I guess.
    Right, he's already tested multiple times. Why add even more exams onto it? He's seen the composite and knows what it entails. Seems like it would be the logical choice to keep on this track as he's almost there rather than splitting stuff up and starting a new.

Good point.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Try to figure out what specific areas are your weak points. There's no way you've studied that much without having one or two weak areas that are bringing you down.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
    Your exam should mention what your Percentages were. Try to follow those as a guideline.

No, we don't know for certain, but there has to be at least some ICND1 level questions on there. What would be the point of having a separate test if all it asked was ICND2 level questions? Either way its all speculation I guess.

What you see as 'adding more exams', I see as breaking a large task into smaller pieces.

No offense to the OP at all, but IMO a 700 on the third attempt doesn't strike me as 'almost there'. It's not an awful score by itself; however in two years, we've seen a 50 point improvement. "Keep doing what your doing" doesn't strike me as the logical choice.

It's pretty clear the OP is emotionally down/frustrated and perhaps killing CCENT will do something for his spirit in this case. Even if it does require one extra trip.
    On a scale of 300-1000 with passing right around 850 I'd definitely say a 700 is pretty close.

And it's not keep doing what you are doing. Its keeping the same end goal and adjusting the approach. Adjusting the end goal and the approach just seems like more work than its worth to me though obviously not everyone feels the same!
  • IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    As others, curious about the material. I do very minimal Cisco stuff. If I had to estimate I would say my last two roles combined had less than 1% of Cisco related tasks. For my CCENT I used mainly Odom and Lammle along with a physical lab and passed on the first try. I studied hard for 4 months and labbed anything I could find remotely related to CCENT. Perhaps you should give the CCENT a shot.

Actually, for CCENT..the OSI model and TCP IP model with the exception of the Cisco 3-layer model, subnetting and routing and switching with the exception of CDP are the only Cisco related things in CCENT so I think we need to stop calling CCENT a Cisco test and call it what it is and that is entry-level advanced networking course.
    Well thats why they call it ccent cisco certified entry network tech. Its cisco version of the net +. The meat and potatoes are all in icnd2.
  • cpartincpartin Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with going the two test route. It's not like you're saving yourself money by getting the combo platter. It limits the scope of what you're going to be tested on and lets you really focus in on those subjects. Maybe the deeper focus will help shore up some fundamentals you didn't even realize you were weak on.

Grab the ICND1 syllabus, reference your library as needed, lab your face off, then go in there and wreck the CCENT. Gl man.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm opposed to the two-test route. If your weak points are all ICND2 material, for example, your ICND2 score will be even lower than your composite score. Sure, CCENT might give you a brief confidence boost, but if it makes getting CCNA harder and takes you away from focusing on your weak points then it doesn't really do anything for you. I doubt you're getting a job or raise with it at this point, so stick to the CCNA path.

With your Transcender exam, take area-focused exams after studying each area. Don't move on until you're well above passing threshold in a given area. Do a full test and circle back if any scores dip.

Try not to over-test -- at some point, if the material itself isn't sticking and you keep getting the same test questions, you start to memorize the answers instead of understanding them. If you're already at that point, it's probably time for a new practice test.

I would give yourself at least a full month to sort out what's holding you back. Retaking it so soon after a decrease in your score is just a waste of money. If you were in the high 700s a quick retake would be advised, but you can't seriously expect to bridge a 100-point gap after a few weeks if you're already failed to bridge it after a year. Again, figure out what specifically is stopping you and focus on that. I'm holding to the opinion that there's no way you're weak in every area after two years of studying.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
    There's also the third option, which some have done before:

Take the ICND1. Then take the CCNA Composite.

For the reason that people have said before - It waters down the ICND2 material. I've seen it discussed on these forums before.

ptilsen wrote: »
    I'm holding to the opinion that there's no way you're weak in every area after two years of studying.

There is no real indication that its been 2 yrs non-stop day in and day out of studying. If in the OP he really studied 6 months and attended a bootcamp and only score a 650 then later a 710 something is not right. He has to take a different approach on studying. Use flashcards or something to explain the topics in his own words.

Now rereading the OP I would retake the composite in 3 weeks 710 is really close and really cram on the sections that he had a low percentage in. Its not a contest who scores higher then who its about passing regardless if its by 1 point or 50. A pass is a pass.
    I'd also be interested in hearing from someone who completed the two-test route, and then the composite when it was time to recertify. Not sure many have done that, considering many move on to specializations or CCNP afterwards, which renews the CCNA.

I may just have to do this when I'm eligible to take the CCNA exam again. There's not much risk, I'd still be a CCNA regardless of the result - and if I pass my employer will reimburse the cost.
    It would seem a little redundant to recertify with the ccna. It would make sense to learn a new aspect security, voice, or design at the na level which would renew the ccna.
    He wanted to see the difference between the two test, and the single test. No real 'purpose' other than to do it :P

dmarcisco wrote: »
    It would seem a little redundant to recertify with the ccna. It would make sense to learn a new aspect security, voice, or design at the na level which would renew the ccna.

Indeed; and CCNA: Sec is what I'm currently working on. I would do it more for my own curiosity, and probably make a TE blog afterwards. It is debated here quite a bit, but I'm not sure anyone here has taken both and has the full perspective.
    You couldn't really share your experience in any detail due to the very strict NDA Cisco has. You are not allowed to disclose number or type of questions on the exam so that pretty much takes out any insight you could share on how the test favors either subset of exam topics.