Options

IT giant adds 150 jobs in Twin Cities

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
IT giant adds 150 jobs in Twin Cities | StarTribune.com

The Wall Street Journal published a story in August identifying Tata's Minnesota expansion as an example of a larger trend of Indian firms stepping up U.S. hiring. But while it's adding 150 jobs in Bloomington, the company also has said it plans to hire 50,000 people in India this fiscal year.

Tata has 243,000 employees in the world and 20,000 in the United States. In 2007, officials at the company said about 90 percent of its 1,000 workers in Minnesota were not hired here, though the firm wanted to find more employees locally.

I'm just not sure what to think of this...
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• Options
    halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
    I always get confused if this is affecting us here in N.America or not. icon_neutral.gif
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Isn't Tata that indian car manufacturer?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Roguetadhg wrote: »

From the Article "The group is now involved in numerous businesses, making textiles, automobiles, consumer products, steel and chemicals. "
  • Options
    SettSett Member Posts: 187
    Roguetadhg wrote: »

There is telecommunications provider by that name, as far as I know, part of the Tata corporation. I had to deal with them couple of times and I really hated it. They were not very professional.
    Non-native English speaker
  • Options
    ratchokeratchoke Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, no matter what outsourcing is bad for our economy. If we can't get jobs, we aren't spending money. If we can't spend money how are these companies EARNING money to backup their reason for outsourcing? Which is technically, they save cost and will in turn profit more, therefor, being able to expand and hire new employees from NA.

But again, if we keep outsourcing job, who's making the the money to spend in the country?
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ratchoke wrote: »
    Yes, no matter what outsourcing is bad for our economy. If we can't get jobs, we aren't spending money.
    This is a much bigger topic and I don't think we should get into it here, but you really shouldn't go around making statements like this. To declare all outsourcing as bad is to fundamentally misunderstand basic economics.

In this case, it's an Indian company outsourcing jobs to Minnesota. That seems backwards for this industry, but I, for one, will not complain about that. More demand for people in my field in my region only means my value goes up. An outside entity spending its money here and providing jobs stimulates the local economy. I welcome Tata and its jobs, although I'll stick with mine.

Hopefully they find local workers for these jobs, rather than bringing in foreign workers. Things have been good for IT in the Twin Cities, but there are still people looking for jobs, and I suspect Tata will be able to find plenty.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I think there's a misunderstanding here about the difference between outsourcing and off-shoring. From what I've seen, a lot of off-shoring experiences have resulted in many businesses realizing that some jobs are best done in the USA (e.g., customer service at Earthlink and Dell).

And Tata Group is a huge Indian conglomerate that own many industries. They are a popular choice for off-shoring software development. Their initial prices are attractive to new customers who have never experienced the hidden costs of managing projects from the other side of the Earth. Again, you gotta go through the experience to accept the lessons learned.
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I just put in their 20/20 mpls. They spent a lot of money on their new office.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    I live pretty close to the normandale towers and interviewed for a position with a company in one of the towers, was very nice. Better offices than where I currently work.
  • Options
    stiltnerstiltner Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've contracted with foreign based companies, with ESL employees.

As long as they pay my bill, I don't care if they speak sheep.

It's the world we live in today. If they are expanding 150 jobs in that region, that
    means they have confidence enough that those 150 people will generate more income
    than they pay for them.

Thats why businesses expand. While 150 jobs doesn't sound like a lot to you.
    If they average 50k a year, thats a lot of trickle down funding for the region.
    That's millions in new funds into the area, with the potential for more people to
    move into the area in order to procure those jobs. Those new people and new jobs
    will help the local gas station, the local housing market, and the local mom & pop
    stores. It will also help the giant companies too, and a lot of times, if they see someone
    else shift direction to a location, or expand, they will too in order to feed the needs of
    those new workers.

IT is changing, and growing at the same time. Tata is many things, but if its investing
    in America, thats a good thing, even if its only a small drop in a larger bucket, at least its
    a drop that can ripple forward.