Options

Is getting the CCNA worth the time invested in it?

DeemeetriDeemeetri Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, is getting the CCNA worth it? is it a good certification to have in the IT world? Another question is once I obtain the CCNA what type of job should I be looking for and does anybody know what kind of compensation am I looking at with an A+, Network+ and around 5 years of call center experience?? Any information is much appreciated guys and thank you for your time

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Of course it is worth it! A basic scan of any job board will show you that its desired by employers. Some jobs it is even a hard requirement.

As far as what kind of job and compensation it will get you depends heavily on other factors. Do you have previous experience? Where are you located? How well can you sell your skills in an interview?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good question, Demeetri. I know where you're coming from, and I'm wondering the same thing. I've spent a lot of time studying for this test myself. I don't even know how much it will help because I don't have any previous IT experience. I wonder if having this certification will be enough to prove to potential employers that I know what I'm doing when it comes to networks. What I'm going to do is advertise on craigslist as a network consultant while I look for a real job in IT, but it's not like people go on craigslist to find professionals. I don't know what else I can do to gain real-world IT experience.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Deemeetri wrote: »
    Hey guys, is getting the CCNA worth it?
    If you want or have a career where a significant portion of your job involves routing/switching, yes, learning the fundamentals of routing/switching and how to apply it to Cisco gear will help. The certification signals you may know that stuff and warrant an interview. An interview will then determine with more certainty if you have the level of knowledge expected.
    does anybody know what kind of compensation am I looking at with an A+, Network+ and around 5 years of call center experience??
    What kind of compensation do you have now? That's probably a good ballpark estimate for what people with your education, experience, and certification-level make around where you live. Bump it slightly for having bettered yourself and learned something new.
    Another question is once I obtain the CCNA what type of job should I be looking for and
    Local job postings that include the keyword "CCNA" are good candidates.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think it's worth it for virtually any IT professional. I'm well into my career and not interested in jobs focused on switching/routing, and I'm still planning on sitting it at some point, and probably maintaining it afterwards. I don't expect it to seriously improve my compensation, but it certainly won't hurt.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It helps. I just had my A+ and Network+ when I landed my job. It helped, not hindered, that "I took the test, but failed". My boss mentioned that "Atleast you took the test"

So While It may have been a failed exam, I guess he seen it as "It's an expensive test to take if he didn't think he knew something."

A certification won't land you a great job, by itself. It's not the magic pill to a fantastic life. You need to want it more. You want to get practice in Networking, put yourself out there. Get out of your comfort zone and do it. If your comfort zone is just 10 miles wide. Look 20. Look 30. Look further.

Of course, you'll need to prove you have the knowledge and you have the chops. You'll also need to Sell yourself. Yes. Be a dang good sales man at the interview. Be able to sell Ice to an eskimo! Boom.

Bottom line: CCNA gives a great start to understand how Networks work. You may not travel beyond CCNA. That's fine. You may be a SysAdmin, or a Security Expert.. But you'll know how the cars travel on the road. Which can help you when it comes to finding bad things, or good things. Some people stop at CCENT. Some don't take CCNA.

Its all different. CCNA helps to keep doors open where options may be closed without one.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    CCNA doesn't take a lot of effort and time to earn if you already have some experience. If you don't - get some and then it will be easier.
    Otherwise, just study for Network+.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ccna, hell yea worth it.
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Deemeetri wrote: »
    Hey guys, is getting the CCNA worth it? is it a good certification to have in the IT world? Another question is once I obtain the CCNA what type of job should I be looking for and does anybody know what kind of compensation am I looking at with an A+, Network+ and around 5 years of call center experience?? Any information is much appreciated guys and thank you for your time

It's the interest you create and develop as you study for the CCNA is what is worth it. And this is before you sit for any exam so YES, not only the CCNA but the corresponding interest, desire and success you breed, as you progress in cert study, in the subject and industry is what is more valuable then just CCNA although that is a great punctuation or icing on the cake.
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I am not even a network person (server/security admin), and yet I feel that of my certs CCNA was the most valuable - both from knowledge and resume boost perspectives.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    DeemeetriDeemeetri Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hInteresting responses guys :) i'm currently making $15 /hr so im hoping obtaining my ccna will land me a better paying job... correct me if im wrong but yes we all love networking but investing the time and money into something and not getting the intended reward is kind of pointless lol this is why im asking you guys who went through similar questions that i have :)
  • Options
    al3kt.R***al3kt.R*** Member Posts: 118
    CCNA® has to offer an almost perfect combo of knowledge and monetary ROI for anyone:

1. holding it,
    2. able to perform its required tasks on a daily basis and
    3. having a relevant IT college/university degree as a complement.

Don't count on extreme monetary increases (though not impossible), but I 'd bet better career opportunities given to a decent CCNA®-cert-holder. What this person does, with the (more and better) chances (interviews, jobs, contacts etc) he WILL be given, is a crucial factor that can undoubtedly influence, define and shape his future professional posture and further expectations.

Regards m8icon_wink.gif
    "Tigranes: Good heavens! Mardonius, what kind of men have brought us to fight against? Men who do not compete for possessions, but for honour."--- Herodotus, The Histories
    "Nipson anomemata me monan opsin"--- Gregory of Nazianzus
    "Bruce Schneier's secure handshake is so strong, you won't be able to exchange keys with anyone else for days."--- Bruce Schneier Facts
  • Options
    MJohnsonresMJohnsonres Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    All I can say is my friend landed a $35/hr temp to hire position working for Marriott in Reston, VA.
    The temp part was only 3 months, just to see if you fit in.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Once you update your resume on Dice or something with the ccna the calls start rollling in. Its really on you if you can sell it on the phone then in person. Also, the thing thats crazy is that HR gets a hard on when they see CCNA on the resume even if its a desktop non networking role. It just gets them excited for some reason. I remember one job I interviewed for as a server/desktop admin/field tech the hr manager said just from you having the ccna I know you can be trained and brought up to speed in everything else in 3 months time.