career opinion

ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi networkers,
I am searching for a job now and I got a reply from two IT services companies:

- company A: a fresh startup
good: company is part of a big group, role is to introduce and implement Cisco Unified Communications applications(Jabber, Webex,...), potential for promotions, Fortinet partner
bad: role may include administrative tasks (since it's a startup), no routing&switching, very small team (company is only 6 people!)

- company B:
good: a Cisco Select Partner that's willing to improve its partnership with Cisco. Job role includes network deployments, design and pre-sales.
bad: salary cut compared to what I'm earning in my current job

I'm thinking about company B, since I told them that I'd like to pursue CCIE.
What advice can you give me? And in case I chose company B, how can I be sure that they'll finance my CCIE curriculum?

Comments

• Dave BDave B Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I guess I can throw in my two cents, for what they are worth. I would go with company A myself. I like the fresh start idea and the small working group. It would provide you with experience that the other company might not, which is always helpful later on. If you are highly concerned with the curriculum then I would ask about it in the interview process and see if they are willing to work with you on it. Then you would have some idea on how to proceed on that front.

Hope it works out well for you!
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    If company B is a means to an end because you will be getting the Cisco experience you want I rekon go with that. I will say that I am very against a pay cut and would never take one myself unless I was unemployed and comparing it to what I used to make.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Definitely can be a difficult decision. Do you know the direction Company A is going? Just because they don't offer it now, doesn't mean they won't in the near future.

For me, a pay cut depends on if I can afford the cut or not and if I think the company will offer the right experience for me. In my current situation I cannot afford a pay cut, but I have taken a small pay cut in the past.

It sounds like either position has drawbacks. Without knowing your current situation, are you sure either position is a good one? Maybe the best option right now is C, neither. Just throwing that out there.
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • Complete_IT_ProfessionalComplete_IT_Professional Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's a tough decision. The startup would give you good experience as Dave B mentioned, but you sound like you're more inclined to get into routing and switching.

On the CCIE funding, I may be wrong, but doesn't having a CCIE help the employer with its Cisco partnership? As in, it might be in their best interests for you to get it, and they could pay for it. I'd check this with them.
    I run CompleteITProfessional.com - a website dedicated to helping IT professionals improve their careers.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Company B definitely sounds like the better role to me unless you are more into the UC stuff. The salary thing does suck though. Weigh your options carefully on that.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    I agree with Keener. If you can hold out for something better, do it. Sounds like you want to continue doing R+S and not take a pay cut.

If you can't hold out, I'd go with Job B depending the amount of pay cut we're talking. If CCIE R+S is your goal then job B will obviously help more. Theoretically, you could take a 2 year pay cut, get your CCIE and find another job or get promoted which should increase your salary.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ccnpninja wrote: »
    company A: no routing&switching
    company B: Job role includes network deployments, design and pre-sales.
    Since I like routing & switching, I would personally go with company B. :)
    And in case I chose company B, how can I be sure that they'll finance my CCIE curriculum?
    I would choose company B without this perk, but if they said they would pay for CCIE and it's a deciding factor for you, ask them to add it to your contract. In my last round of negotiations, I did precisely that. Anything critical to the contract should be specified in writing.

Remember, paying for CCIE training, is a few extra grand!
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    There is no pay cut to go with company A? Is the work more challenging, by your description, it could go either way. Why are they willing to pay more than company B?
  • sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    It doesn't make sense. If Company B is a Cisco Partner your pay should be pretty good. I don't know what a "Cisco Select Partner" is compared to a Cisco Silver or Gold Partner, but I know those designations depend on the number of certified engineers employed. A CCIE actually contributes to a Cisco Partners credibility and increase their hourly bill rate. Depending on your area bill rates can be anywhere from $125-275 an hour. Company B sounds like the best decision because of the exposure you'll get and really understanding the business of IT. I just don't understand if they are low-balling you or not. Even a Junior guy with a CCNA starting at a Cisco Partner should demand a good wage.
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you are highly concerned with the curriculum then I would ask about it in the interview process and see if they are willing to work with you on it.
    Dave B, I talked to the IT Manager about it and he said that it would be good for me and for the company. But I don't know how much they are committed to it.
    For me, a pay cut depends on if I can afford the cut or not and if I think the company will offer the right experience for me. In my current situation I cannot afford a pay cut, but I have taken a small pay cut in the past.
    If you can't hold out, I'd go with Job B depending the amount of pay cut we're talking. If CCIE R+S is your goal then job B will obviously help more. Theoretically, you could take a 2 year pay cut, get your CCIE and find another job or get promoted which should increase your salary

Keener and Okplaya, I also thought about the pay cut. But NetworkVeteran gave me the idea to insert a written clause that mentions CCIE financing. So I can accept a pay cut if they add this to the contract. After all, I don't see myself doing the same job as a network admin for the next 3 years. I'd like to gain more experience and grow my professional network in network&security integration projects. This way I can prepare myself for the big digits..
    Company B sounds like the best decision because of the exposure you'll get and really understanding the business of IT. I just don't understand if they are low-balling you or not. Even a Junior guy with a CCNA starting at a Cisco Partner should demand a good wage

You're right Sieff. I think they're giving a low salary. This is the kind of situations where I discover that I have to acquire more skills -proven through projects and practice - and put them on the CV :)

thank you guys for your input !