Options

Support Only Role?

KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
I am now trying to work into a Network Admin/Systems Admin position and finally move out of the PC Support level work.

Currently, most of the work I do is on the PC level. I do get to work on servers, firewalls, exchange, etc, in a break fix capacity, but it is not day to day. It may only be once a week or so. I am currently working on my MCITP: SA to gain the knowledge to show prospective employers as well. I just don't get a lot of work on the server level now. I have had interest from employers, but my lack of administration/configuration experience seems to be keeping me from an offer.

I have been approached with possible positions (not actual offers) that are at the server level, but they are still only support positions. No projects, no day to day administration, no configuration (unless I might resolve configurations that are causing problems).

Would a support only role that would get me more hands on at the server/perimeter level help build the resume towards being a Network/Systems Admin, or is it taking me in the wrong direction and still going to be hard to transition into that role?

Thanks in advance! :D
Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!

Comments

• Options
    Complete_IT_ProfessionalComplete_IT_Professional Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Keener,

I think it would help you move into a more administration area. The support role on a server would still be support, as you said, but it sounds like you would be moving away from desktops. I'm not sure what the process is to move from support to administration, as I don't work in that area, but it sounds this would be a good step.

Also the MCITP:SA certification is a good way to help move into an admin position eventually.

Good luck!

Ben
    I run CompleteITProfessional.com - a website dedicated to helping IT professionals improve their careers.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think it would definitely help you. If you can put some good solid hands on experience with servers on your resume your next move would be administering them. Good luck with the job prospects!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    al3kt.R***al3kt.R*** Member Posts: 118
    hey bro, in addition to achieving this meaningful change in your daily work duties, a CCNA® cert could serve you well as means of showing your skills & career expectations as a Network Admin to possible employers (much like the MCITP® will give you chances for SysAdmin roles) and surely complement the existing ones you already hold.

regards and hope you soon find the best position to start from based on your experience and skillsicon_wink.gif
    "Tigranes: Good heavens! Mardonius, what kind of men have brought us to fight against? Men who do not compete for possessions, but for honour."--- Herodotus, The Histories
    "Nipson anomemata me monan opsin"--- Gregory of Nazianzus
    "Bruce Schneier's secure handshake is so strong, you won't be able to exchange keys with anyone else for days."--- Bruce Schneier Facts
  • Options
    KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I appreciate the input and it definitely helps! I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't going to make it more difficult for me to transition into an admin role later. I am still waiting to hear back on one of my interviewers where they liked me. Keeping my fingers crossed since they seem like a great place to work!
    al3kt.R*** wrote: »
    hey bro, in addition to achieving this meaningful change in your daily work duties, a CCNA® cert could serve you well as means of showing your skills & career expectations as a Network Admin to possible employers (much like the MCITP® will give you chances for SysAdmin roles) and surely complement the existing ones you already hold.

regards and hope you soon find the best position to start from based on your experience and skillsicon_wink.gif

Thanks for the input. I have CCNA on my agenda for next year after I complete the MCITP: SA. Eventually I want to be in InfoSec and I want to have a better understanding of what I would be protecting as well as how the traffic flows through the network/Internet, etc. I also plan to learn some Linux, but that is more in the future.
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    It depends on the company and what support you do. Sometimes you learn much more in support roles than in administration. If you work for a Microsoft Partner for example, you will get a lot of calls from different customers and you will see a lot in a short period of time. Great experience.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com