Options

Restoring IOS and issue of lack of PCs

thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi, all. i have not been here for a long time.

REAL LAB (not a simulator)

Case- i had a lab in order to implement a very basic VLAN between two switches separately connected to two cisco 1700 routers.
What is required from me was establishing communication of VLAN1; VLAN 2 on a switch under a single 1700 with the one other.
(inter-vlan routing)

what i did is!

. i performed the back-to-back communication part between routers. Broke their forgotten passwords. Allowed two routers to speak each other.

.connected to each switch and renewed their configurations. assigned VLANs.

. connected to the router on the left and set the encapsulation and assigned IP addresses for each VLAN of the PCs under this router (subif)

what i couldn't!

.connected to the router on the right. however, encapsulation command didn't work on this.

. need at least four computers to link them with routers.

Question 1 ) how to set up computers when there is only one laptop?

Question 2) how to solve the issue of encapsulation command? IOS restore? What steps should i apply for this?
Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    1. You don't need computers. You can do extended pings setting the source address if you need to test reach-ability.

2. What type of 1700? Not all of them support router on a stick set up.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    1. You don't need computers. You can do extended pings setting the source address if you need to test reach-ability.

2. What type of 1700? Not all of them support router on a stick set up.

1) could you give me an example for this? how to and where should i do extended ping?

2) both 1700 looked same as box. However, while one of them swallowed the command, the other didnt. Due to IOS version difference. How to IOS upgrade?
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• Options
    1. Using the Extended ping and Extended traceroute Commands - Cisco Systems

2. You are going to have to be a bit more specific. What model do you have? A lot of routers look alike.
  • Options
    1. Using the Extended ping and Extended traceroute Commands - Cisco Systems

2. You are going to have to be a bit more specific. What model do you have? A lot of routers look alike.

Well, i read the description on the link. but, how does it do with the computers?

• Options
    You don't do it with computers. You just ping from the router using the segment the computer would sit on as the source. When the packet is routed it will have a source address as if it were a host on that segment rather than the default behavior of using the outgoing interface address as the source.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No offense but for a CCNA you seem pretty clueless.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ^ I was thinking the same.
  • Options
    You don't do it with computers. You just ping from the router using the segment the computer would sit on as the source. When the packet is routed it will have a source address as if it were a host on that segment rather than the default behavior of using the outgoing interface address as the source.

i got that part. However, how would this do with the computers? lets say, i linked each switch with each router. But, each switch also has to be connected to the computers. When there is not enough computers(only a laptop), how would extended ping do this job?

Whose IP address could be the source address for extended ping?

• Options
    Use your router as if it were a host to ping to other networks.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    No offense but for a CCNA you seem pretty clueless.
    Agreed. OP - you're asking questions that you should already know the answer to. Either you put CCNA on your cert list or you brain dumped your way through. If the latter is the case, I suggest you take CCNA off your cert list and knuckle down.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S