Options

Limit usb ports by time?

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Company invested in some Verizon 4G LTE cards for some personnel who travel from office to office on a weekly basis. Since they are the only ones who go to these offices, it did not make sense to install cable/dsl when it is only used 1-2 days a week. Here is the problem. Some of the people are leaving the cards plugged in overnight, and downloading updates to their databases, etc. So Im being tasked to find a way to limit their usage to 7am-7pm Mon-Fri. I have already talked with Verizon, and they do not offer any way to limit access. Anyone have any ideas on how to turn off the USB ports at certain time and back on next day? Probably a long shot, but thought I would ask.

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Talk to the provider. I would not be surprised if Verizon could not assist you with this.
  • Options
    Ive already spoken with Verizon, no go. Nothing built into their software and nothing they can do on their end.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    just a thought couldnt ya set a task to shutdown the computer at night
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Establish a policy. "4G cards are for business hours use only. Extended usage beyond X time will be billed to the user." Problem solved.
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Most usb blocking software I know of is all or nothing. Haven't seen one that is time based.

You could always create a scheduled task that runs during the times you don't want them to use the aircard and have it kill the service periodically (or at least once to keep it from being on all night long).

Do they use a vpn to connect to the company intranet? If so, limit their vpn to only the hours you want them to vpn in. Then like cyberguypr suggested, put out a corporate memo about usage after hours so they aren't using it for personal use.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Lets think about this a different way.

Why not just restrict access to the Verizon software that it uses to connect at night? -Seems like a simpler task to me and leaves users able to plug in flash drives, ect after hours.

You could also restrict the network adapter that it uses(assuming it uses one like the 4G cards I've had).
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    How about looking in to some of the software solutions that exist for parents to limit the hours children can be on the internet?
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    OP - I feel your pain. Most of our employees have access to Verizon air cards and usually end up going over their allotted 5GB. Which, for personal use I could see that being rather low. But, for business use is plenty. We have many people that go over by around 5GB or 10GB at a time. They claim not to know. But I pointed out to them that they're given a data usage popup every time they connect.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can set a Group Policy under Active Directory to log them off after a set time, and once they are logged off you can set group policy to not allow login till said time. I am pretty sure you can even set this at a local level if you don't administrate GP via AD.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    crrussell3 wrote: »
    Most usb blocking software I know of is all or nothing. Haven't seen one that is time based.

Only think I can think of here is to use a desktop management solution that includes USB security. Desktop Authority is the only one that comes to mind, but I'm sure there are others. DA has time based policies.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    They way I understand this the OP wants to restrict USB ports only, not access to the whole machine.
  • Options
    If you're using BITS with the software, you can set a policy to only allow transfers during certain times of the day or whatever, as you require.
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bub9001 wrote: »
    You can set a Group Policy under Active Directory to log them off after a set time, and once they are logged off you can set group policy to not allow login till said time. I am pretty sure you can even set this at a local level if you don't administrate GP via AD.

This is the correct answer isn't it, simple and effective.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No, GPO to prevent log on does not meet the need since it is to prevent air card usage, not laptop usage.

A scheduled task to kill the service/software after 7:00pm would work perfectly. A simple net stop or taskkill command on a task that runs based on a trigger of the service and/or executable opening during the required time frame would work. You can even deploy the task via GPO.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    No, GPO to prevent log on does not meet the need since it is to prevent air card usage, not laptop usage.

I think that you did not see the first part, he said, use AD to schedule a shut down GPO. If AD,GPO schedule that the USB is shutdown at a certain time every evening and come on in the morning. The point of preventing logon would be redundancey.
  • Options
    I did find one software that would work out to be about 62 cents/month per machine, but the idea was shot down. TSKILL works, I just need to find a way to limit by time now. These 10 machines do not connect to our main server at all, so using AD is out.