Options

T568A and T568B

blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
I understand that the pin positions at 1,2 / 3,6 are switched, but I still can't find any info on which standard transmits on 1,2 while receiving on 3,6 and vice versa. Can anyone help me out here? icon_study.gif

Comments

• Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In a straight-through, one side transmits on 1/2 and receives on 3/6, while the other side transmits on 3/6 and receives on 1/2, regardless of whether you use A or B. In a crossover cable both sides transmit on 1/2 and receive on 3/6.

Edit: Someone please correct me if I'm wrong because as I said it's been a while :D

Double Edit: Wow, it's been a long day at work, I'm not even sure what my brain is thinking anymore. Corrected an obviously erroneous statement.
  • Options
    phatrikphatrik Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A few things about your question:

- Network cables are the carrier of the signal, they don't actually generate it. As a result, the question you should be asking isn't which standard transmits or receives on which pin, but rather, "which device transmits on pins 1&2 and receives on 3&6"

- When you connect two of the same devices together you need a cross over, but there's also one device which, when you connect a PC to it, you'll need a cross over cable. Do you know which one?

- When creating a cable, you can use whichever standard you want. The only thing to be mindful about is, if you're creating a straight through cable, make sure both ends follow the same standard (whether that be A or B). If you're creating a cross-over cable, use one standard at one end and the other standard at the opposite end.

A PC's network card transmits on 1&2 and receives on 3&6. Ask yourself which devices need a straight through cable and which ones require a cross over when connecting them to a PC. Whichever devices you can connect to using a straight though, it means they RX on 12 and TX on 36. Whichever devices require a cross over it means they, just like the PC's network card, TX on 1&2 and RX on 3&6.

HTH
    2018 goals: Security+, CCNA CyberOps (Cohort #6), eJPT, CCNA R&S 2019 goals: RHCE ????, OSCP || CISSP