Options

New to IT , considering WGU....

IT69IT69 Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey all! Im new to the IT field and after a lot of browsing this board for bit and getting my A+ I am considering applying for WGU. Aside from the A+ I am completely new to the IT field having never had an IT job......I am sure this would make WGU considerably more difficult, I am considering maybe getting my N+ and S+ while maybe getting a geek squad/technician type job somewhere but honestly would like to get to work on a Bachelors ASAP. Once enrolled I will dedicate 45+ hours a week to study and I do qualify for Pell Grants that would make the cost considerably lower than the 3k per term.My goal is to finish in 4 terms. I am looking for any advice and direction as I am sure that many on this board have been in a similar situation to mine, thanks so much.

Comments

• Options
    bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    Which one of WGU's programs are you looking at or are you undecided?
  • Options
    bdub wrote: »
    Which one of WGU's programs are you looking at or are you undecided?

Im definitely leaning towards the BS IT with no emphasis, as I have generally heard it can be completed quicker than the others. I am not sure which area of IT I am going to venture into but sure I will know once obtaining more certifications and knowledge.
  • Options
    bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    In that case I think you will be fine not having any prior experience in IT. The certs in that course are all pretty entry level and do not require a lot of previous knowledge in order to pass. If you can commit 45+ hours a week like you say than you should have no problem.

That degree, with those certs, will definitely set you apart from others looking for entry level jobs.

Sounds like you have a good plan, I say go for it.
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Go for it! In the interim, while your application is being processed, you can start studying for the Network+ and MTA Network Fundamentals so that you can hit the ground rolling once you start college.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    I am in the same boat. I do have 1 year IT experience but currently unemployed. I am also considering the Geek Squad just for any type of experience which is better than none. All you need is 1 certification, you can even take the CIW web foundations associate and transfer that in which is what I did. You can study for that and pass it in less than a week. I would start right away, you quality for the pell grant which covers the majority of the tuition. You can always switch your degree program too. Definitely get the ball rolling, it can take about a month for the verification process to finish.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    Go for it! In the interim, while your application is being processed, you can start studying for the Network+ and MTA Network Fundamentals so that you can hit the ground rolling once you start college.

Will definitely get the ball rolling asap, waiting to get a referral code and will be applying soon.......looking forward to getting started and learning more, cant wait.
  • Options
    BMOBMO Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would strongly recommend looking into one of the specializations once you get into your degree and learn a little more about what you want to do. You can change your course of study if you choose to. The general IT degree at WGU only has basic entry-level certs, like the A+, Net+ ect. If you want to distinguish yourself from others with no experience, one of the more advanced certs like the CCNA will go a long way towards landing you a better job IMHO. It might take a little more time, but it will be time very well spent.
  • Options
    DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    BMO wrote: »
    I would strongly recommend looking into one of the specializations once you get into your degree and learn a little more about what you want to do. You can change your course of study if you choose to. The general IT degree at WGU only has basic entry-level certs, like the A+, Net+ ect. If you want to distinguish yourself from others with no experience, one of the more advanced certs like the CCNA will go a long way towards landing you a better job IMHO. It might take a little more time, but it will be time very well spent.

I would think for someone with no IT experience that no emphasis degree would be a better option. Once he gets his degree he can focus on getting more certs on his own time while working an entry level position.
  • Options
    Drovor wrote: »
    I would think for someone with no IT experience that no emphasis degree would be a better option. Once he gets his degree he can focus on getting more certs on his own time while working an entry level position.

Except that the general degree doesn't really have anything to make up for what you loose with the emphasis. It's a lesser degree. It lists 15 certs you get, but only 3 or 4 are worth listing on a resume. And they are certs that a lot of folks expect you to have at a minimum. Around where I live meeting the minimum doesn't get you the job. Having something like the CCNA or MCITP will make you much more valuable, not from the certs themselves, but for the knowledge you gained getting them. It's much easier to get the certs while your already in school. If I were looking to hire someone it would be the guy I had to train less.
  • Options
    DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    @BMO
    A new person to IT might spend most of a term trying to get a CCNA or MCITP. Why not get the no emphasis degree, which is faster and cheaper, then self study for the CCNA, MCITP, etc? The degree you receive is the same whether it has an emphasis or not so it is not a lesser degree. I just think someone with little or no IT experience is better off going the no emphasis route.
  • Options
    @BMO
    A new person to IT might spend most of a term trying to get a CCNA or MCITP. Why not get the no emphasis degree, which is faster and cheaper, then self study for the CCNA, MCITP, etc? The degree you receive is the same whether it has an emphasis or not so it is not a lesser degree. I just think someone with little or no IT experience is better off going the no emphasis route.

So, someone with less experience will do better with less training? I say the general degree is lesser in that there is literally less to it. There is no generalized replacement cert to a CCNA or whatever. If he really needs to land an entry level tech support position he could do that at anytime with the entry level certs he gets along the way. That's one of the nice things about WGU.

Plus, his goal is to finish in 4 terms dedicating 45+ hours a week, with WGU that should be easily doable even with adding an advanced cert.
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @BMO

Agree wholeheartedly!
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    BMO wrote: »
    Except that the general degree doesn't really have anything to make up for what you loose with the emphasis. It's a lesser degree. It lists 15 certs you get, but only 3 or 4 are worth listing on a resume. And they are certs that a lot of folks expect you to have at a minimum. Around where I live meeting the minimum doesn't get you the job. Having something like the CCNA or MCITP will make you much more valuable, not from the certs themselves, but for the knowledge you gained getting them. It's much easier to get the certs while your already in school. If I were looking to hire someone it would be the guy I had to train less.

I don't see the no emphasis B.S. in IT as a lesser degree. Yes, it doesn't have the higher-level certs, but the main reason to go to WGU, is to get the degree, not certs. The diploma doesn't list the emphasis, so any emphasis taken would have to be worked into a resume / cover letter / interview.
  • Options
    The general degree is like a regular degree but if you took out all the upper division classes. The point of a 4 year degree is to show that you have more advanced IT knowledge, but the general degree doesn't provide that, only basic IT knowledge leaving out the advanced stuff with nothing to make up for it. It is lesser in that there is literally less to it, that's why it's easier to finish and takes less time. With WGU the certs you get are a direct reflection of the education your getting because they are the metric used to validate that education.

I fail to see how having less training will help someone with little experience land better employment. Seems to be the opposite of what you'd want to me. I know a guy with a good computer science degree that delivers beer for a living because he isn't competitive enough with his degree alone to land a job. An advanced IT cert sets you apart from the rest of the recent graduate crowd.

If all he wants to do is work on the geek squad at best buy then he doesn't need a bachelors degree. If he wants jobs that require a bachelors degree then most are going to want people with more advanced knowledge than just what is covered under the comptia certs.

Also, the OP said he can dedicate 45+ hours a week to study and wants to finish in 4 terms. That is a reasonable goal for a degree with WGU and an emphasis. Plus, getting the CCNA or something similar would be a whole lot easier when you can afford to work on it full time when your not having to hold down a job as well.
  • Options
    After a small turn of events I have decided to hold off on WGU for a few more month's, two days after getting my A+ and after applying to a tech shop got a call back for an interview and got hired today! Very happy to be getting started so soon....I will be studying hard for N+,S+ and hope to knock them out asap.Have been considering finishing the CCNA before getting started at WGU as I really want it for some reason, hoping it can be finished in 3-4 months of study. Good luck to everyone in their IT goal's.
  • Options
    draemosdraemos Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @BMO

Why not just the CCNA and MCSA as part of your degree and kill two birds with one stone? There is a relatively good chance you'll make the extra tuition back (if you even require that much extra time) just by being able to get a better job starting off or qualifying for a higher raise by having a CCNA or MCSA (and thus MCSE) that much sooner. It's not like an extra term at WGU is going to break the bank or anything.

At the very least I'd recommend a course w/ a CCNA cert. That's something you are definitely going to want going forward, regardless of the career track you take.