Options

Tool List

Henry is GodHenry is God Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
Can anyone give me a pointer in regards to the following tools? I have just been given the details for my new start on Monday.

- Knife (to open boxes) - obvious
- Phillips screwdriver - obvious
- Flathead screwdriver - obvious
- Drill - ??
- Labeller - ??
- Termination tools - crimp tool, tester etc I imagine.
- Camera
- Toner - ??

Any help with the question marked items would be a help. Got a rack and stack install. Looking forward to it!

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Toner- that's a short form for "tone and probe" - I use something like this Fluke Networks 26000900 PRO3000 Analog Tone and Probe Kit:Amazon:Electronics but you will likely also want one with a LAN cable test if you are doing a rack install. Don't bring a printer cartridge icon_smile.gif or they may ask you to leave.

Drill - bring a cordless screwdriver. But if you are unracking old stuff, in rare instances, you may need a cordless drill to drill out mount screws if some dope stripped screws during installation.

Labeler- they meant a label maker. I have a cheap P-touch that I have used for zillion years. Latest model here http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00004VVIX - its good enough for labeling server and network gear but not the best for cables.

Have fun. I used to really enjoy racking gear for some reason. I think it was all the shiny stuff and blinking lights.

Ps. To look professional- have an actual toolbag for the tools. Also, the toolbag should include ear protection. If you are going near chillers, ear muffs are good. But carry the foam ear plugs always in the toolbag. I used to have noise canceling headset but those can be very pricey.
  • Options
    al3kt.R***al3kt.R*** Member Posts: 118
    paul78 wrote: »
    Toner- that's a short form for "tone and probe" - I use something like this Fluke Networks 26000900 PRO3000 Analog Tone and Probe Kit:Amazon:Electronics but you will likely also want one with a LAN cable test if you are doing a rack install. Don't bring a printer cartridge icon_smile.gif or they may ask you to leave.

Drill - bring a cordless screwdriver. But if you are unracking old stuff, in rare instances, you may need a cordless drill to drill out mount screws if some dope stripped screws during installation.

Labeler- they meant a label maker. I have a cheap P-touch that I have used for zillion years. Latest model here Brother PT-65 P-touch Home and Hobby Labeler with LCD Screen:Amazon:Office Products - its good enough for labeling server and network gear but not the best for cables.

Have fun. I used to really enjoy racking gear for some reason. I think it was all the shiny stuff and blinking lights.

Ps. To look professional- have an actual toolbag for the tools. Also, the toolbag should include ear protection. If you are going near chillers, ear muffs are good. But carry the foam ear plugs always in the toolbag. I used to have noise canceling headset but those can be very pricey.

Smooth icon_thumright.gif
    "Tigranes: Good heavens! Mardonius, what kind of men have brought us to fight against? Men who do not compete for possessions, but for honour."--- Herodotus, The Histories
    "Nipson anomemata me monan opsin"--- Gregory of Nazianzus
    "Bruce Schneier's secure handshake is so strong, you won't be able to exchange keys with anyone else for days."--- Bruce Schneier Facts