Options

hello a Qn for a practical application;sorry nt related2cert

sonagccnasonagccna Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
hello,

I have been asked to partition the hard disk in the following ways;

the hard disk should be partitioned such a way that, the user profiles need to be a separate partion not in os installed partition say 'C: drive';but in another partition say user(E: ); for this i figured out that need to be automated with a help of text file, which will be used while installation;

please somebody lead/instruct me regarding this; i am just now into system administration;

and the OS of systems can be windows XP,2000,2003,98

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    Your answer:

M$ dont recommend moving user profiles from the default settings, c:\documents and setting\

There's a KB article on m$ website that speaks of this issue.

If you are worried about loosing profiles, simply backup all pertinent data in each profile, or implement roaming profiles, or implement offlines folders, its up to you.
    What next?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    Didn't this question recently appear in another discussion thread? Maybe I'm thinking of a posting on another web board.

Anyway, the only way I've ever done this is to install the Windows root folder on a partition other than C:. Windows itself runs just fine installed on any partition letter, but some applications are written expecting the Windows and System folders to be on C:, and therefore will not run properly.
  • Options
    jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    It did, I think a few weeks ago but too lazy to find the thread for this person... icon_cool.gif
    What next?
  • Options
    I will be partitioning the hard disk in the following waysicon_sad.gifpls note that I am doing all these with new systems just now purchased or after formatting all the existing systems)

C: Only OS(Windows XP/2000/ 98 ) (Infact this is insisted by my senior, so no other go icon_sad.gif )

D: Swap

E: Tools, Utilities,Applications,Software Developement Environment like Visual Studio

F: Work <- this will have programmer's data, like programs coded by them plus that particular user(for eg user Joe's profile) ; The user profile location is mainly insisted; The idea behind is to make the OS drive undisturbed, while making user profile to get installed in this logical drive![/b]
  • Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you are only wanting to store the users data and not their actual profile on F: then just move their My Documents Storage location to that drive. Create each user a folder on F: and point each users my documents folder to their respective folder you created for them and have the users save all work to their "My Documents" folder and VOILA, all users data off of C:

This is what it sounds like you are wanting to do.
  • Options
    and then start afresh;

I got a partial solution ,which makes the user profiles in F:, using answer file-unattended installation, using attribute, ProfilesDir="F:\Documents and Settings"

But still another problem exists, the programfiles are getting installed on the same drive F:, while it should be made to get instlled on E: instead,

so now working on it!