CISSP Journey

thegreenlaanternthegreenlaantern Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Long time reader first time poster.

I First heard about CISSP in March 2009. My employer offered to send coworkers and myself to a Private Official ISC2 Bootcamp in April 2009. We only had five weeks to study before the bootcamp. Eighteen of us took the test in a private test environment and waited the usual 4+ weeks. We all received our results on the same day. Five of my coworkers passed, thirteen of us did not.
Since then I have acheived several technical certifications, but always planned to go back for the CISSP. February 2012 I started studying again for the test planning to take it in April 2012 (three years after my first attempt). I found this site (TechExams.net) and used it as a mentor to point me in the right direction toward my goal. My resources were the Conrad books, CISSP for Dummies and CISSP Flash Cards. I took the test on April 14, in a room full of other hopefuls. Two other coworkers from my original Bootcamp tried retaking the test before my second attempt, both did not acheive the Certification. I waited five weeks and 3 days after the test to get my score of 673.

I felt I knew the material the second time, but I did not like the Proctored walk-around test environment. This was not like the Computer Tech Certification Tests I was used to and didn't feel like the environment I originally took the CISSP test in. I rushed my attempt and felt I should have taken more time.

It took a little while to get my footing back to stand-up to the Test and was looking forward to taking the CBT. I Used the previously mentioned resources plus the Shon Harris mp3 Audio Lectures https://www.logicalsecurity.com/CISSPQuizBook_Thanks.html (this helped me to understand a concept or two and let me cram during the long drives). I did not tell my coworkers when I was taking my third attempt, but took it August 17. I liked the fact that I could take breaks and wasn't huddled into a small overcrowded room. I will say the CBT is just as difficult as the PBT. My plan was to take breaks every 100 questions, I marked 30 questions for review within the first 100, but after the first 100 was settled into the test enough to not leave a question until I was comfortable with my choice. Took the 5-hour Energy/Protein bar break and as needed bathroom break. Clicked the End Exam button and picked it up from the Proctor. She folded it like a letter and I did not have it in me to look, but by the time I got in the elevator read the word "Congratulations".
This became the most important piece of paper in my life and words cannot explain the feeling of accomplishment.

I submitted my Endorsement Paperwork on August 20 (knew a few coworkers who were CISSP's from a few years back icon_wink.gif and one Endorsed me). Received the "Got your paperwork, wait 6-weeks" email on August 22.

September 7, I received the email from ISC2 confirming I was a CiSSP.
September 24 (today), received my ISC2 package in the mail with my Cert.

Just wanted to thank everyone here for their experiences and let others know, it takes as long as it takes to achieve your goal. I will try to get some of the original thirteen back on the path (at least the other two who retook it before me).

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Welcome to TE. Congrats and thanks for sharing your story.
  • nestechnestech Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You did it great job!!! I just started reading the CISSP book today. Looking at taking the exam in January or February of 2013... Great story thanks for sharing...
  • AbhijeetBasuAbhijeetBasu Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great work, awesome perseverance and need I say, a story that hopefuls like me will come back to each time Shon Harris, (ISC)2 look too darn tough to achieve.
  • ThistlebackThistleback Member Posts: 151
    Congratulations on hanging in there and finally attaining your goal! Thanks for sharing. Your story will be an inspiration to all those who fail their initial attempt(s) at CISSP.
    Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
  • CERTS4LADYCERTS4LADY Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thegreenlaantern,

CONRATS!!!

I am glad I took the time to read your journey. It was motivating in two ways for me 1) You did not let failure stop you from obtaining your goal and 2) you have a heart to reachback to some of the other 13 (whom failed like you initially) to study and reach their CISSP goals. It is a blessing to do well in life, but as we start to reach back and help others is to me the most reawarding and true growth part of it all.

I am planning to sit for my CISSP in the end of Nov and appreciate the Shon Harris Audio link from your post, as I did not have that one. Again, congratulations and take some personal time away from all that study material and do something relaxing and nice for you. You and your brain deserves some downtime....Smiling,

Certs4Lady
  • sgtgormansgtgorman Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow! Congratulations!
  • thegreenlaanternthegreenlaantern Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the replies. It is a marathon of a test. Think like a manager (not a technician) and The CISSP way to handle the situation (question). On the CISSP laminated card it reads: "Code of Ethics Preamble - Safety of the commonwealth, duty to our principals, and to each other requires that we adhere, and be seen to adhere, to the highest ethical standards of behavior. Therefore, strict adherence to this code is a condition of certification." The Code of Ethics Canons (I called this the PAPA motto and used it in deciding on answers on the test) - 1. Protect society, 2. Act honorably, 3. Provide diligent and competent service, Advance and protect the profession. In scenario-based questions I answered questions in top-down order using the Canons. I hope you all taking the test get "Congratulations" on your test results.
  • Althmash7Althmash7 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats Bro After all Made icon_cheers.gif