Options

MCSE or MCSA Questions???

hammer headhammer head Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Im working on my A+ now, hopefully I'll have it in a few weeks. I had college networking class and lab about 2 years ago. We set up several networks including one with NT server 4. I knew it pretty well and could even subnet, but Ive forgot a lot. Does MCSE or MCSA cover networking about the same detail as Network+? I'm thinking maybe I don't need Network+. Also has anyone ever used the trial versions of Win2000 you get when you buy Microsoft study material? Do the trial versions only come with Microsoft?............thanks!

Comments

• Options
    WyldstarWyldstar Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Network+ is a good place to get started once you're done your A+ because the two certifications can be used as your elective for the MCSA. Network+ covers a lot of areas the MCSA/Es don't really get into (Novell Netware, UNIX client/servers, etc) but doesn't go too far in depth about them. It's more generalized than the MCSA/Es which are pretty much Microsoft-centric (obviously :D ). What Net+ gives you is just a basic understanding of how networks function, while the MCSA/Es are built around using a specific product.

Windows has changed a LOT since NT4, especially with the introduction of Active Directory which has a few exams dedicated to it specifically. There's going to be a lot to re-learn and a whole heap of new stuff to learn as well. The evaluation versions of the the MS products are a really good place to start to get hands on experience, and the MS Press books are very good as well. The software only lasts for 120 days, but you can just format and re-install when that time period is up. The only real gripe I have about it is that windows automatic update won't update it which caused a huge hassle with my USB 2.0 ports. Other than that, it's just about as functional as any W2k server.

- WS
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    evaluation versions of some microsoft operating systems are available from the microsoft website (in the uk you can get windows 2000 advanced server, xp pro and windows 2003 server - i assume in other countries it is the same).

tcp/ip will be covered in much greater detail in the microsoft exams than network+. i was looking at a cbtnugget on ip addressing and subnetting only last night, and cidr needs to be known, rather than known-of, for instance.
    A+ Moderator