Options

CCNA End Devices

lasredlasred Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys
I have another question on end devices. My textbook says that end devices can be both client and server. Is the client just the object or thing using the service or device. What exactly is the server and how can an end device be one? How can an end device be a server and a client? Can you guys give me examples of commonplace end devices taht are clients and servers?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    lasred wrote: »
    Can you guys give me examples of commonplace end devices taht are clients and servers?
    Your computer is running a web client (IE/Safari?) and accessing a web server (Techexams.net). They are communicating by talking HTTP over a TCP/IP session.
    My textbook says that end devices can be both client and server.
    If I run an FTP server on my PC, it's simultaneously a web client and an FTP server.

I have to drop off now. I'll leave the rest to others. :)
  • Options
    Network Veteran,
    Thanks for your help but you brought in a lot of terms that obfuscate me. What are web clients, web servers, TCP, and FTP? I've heard of HTTP and IP(people talk about them) but I do not know their functions.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @lasred - are you sure you should be studying for the CCNA? These are fairly simple concepts and prerequisites for anyone studying for the CCNA or any network related certification.

Have you considered setting your sights at a more foundational certification like A+?

I don't wish to dissuade you if you have the ambition. But I couldn't help noticing that your other post where you asked "what is a server".

HTTP is a network application protocol - it is used between web clients and web servers. A web client for example would be applications like Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari as NetworkVeteran indicated.
  • Options
    Hi paul78,
    I am taking a Cisco CCNA course at my school. My lack of knowledge can be attributed to the fact that this is my first time doing anything that is related to networking. I dont even know what an A+ is.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hmmm - well - members here are generally fairly generous with their personal time. And most would be willing to assist with clarification. Asking for answers to homework is usually not well received unless you can demonstrate that you have performed some of your own research to learn the topics.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hi Lasred,

Comptia offers the A+ and Network+ certficiations, among others. Cisco offers the CCENT and CCNA certifications.

Paul was pointing out that you're missing some foundational material that most people have before attempting the CCNA. While you may be successful in obtaining the CCNA without it, your grasp of what you learned, and your chance of achieving gainful employment with it, will be diminished compared to someone who has this material, perhaps greatly dimished. Imagine talking to an auto mechanic who says they know the oil-changing procedure, but isn't quite sure how to use the keys to start your car.

An odd and confidence-losing gap, no?

Consider tackling a CompTIA book in tandem with your CCNA course. If you hadn't signed up for the CCNA class, I'd aim for the A+, but since you have, the Network+ may be a better fit. It overlaps quite a bit, but will fill in some gaps!

Also, most keywords like "A+" or "CCNA" or "Server" can be searched for at google.com.

Cheers, mate, and good luck with your CCNA course in any event. :)