Boson CCNP Network Sim

Henry is GodHenry is God Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
Anyone any experience of using this?

CCNP Network Simulator & Router Simulator | NetSim 8.0

Just looking for some feedback from the community before I commit to the purchase.

Thanks

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The CCNA version of Boson Netsim is one of the fastest ways to get the IOS practice you need for the CCNA. It's got routers, it's got switches, and it's got graded labs. That's what I used to get enough practice to knock out the CCNA in a weekend.

As for the CCNP version of Boson Netsim, I feel its coverage is far too light. Someone who did only those labs would have a difficult time with the exams, in my opinion. Cisco recommends that you have at least one year of routing & switching experience before tackling the CCNP, so by the time you go for it, hopefully you will have some equipment access at work.. and you can augment that with GNS3, rack rentals, or real labs. I used GNS3 for CCNP Route & CCNP Tshoot, and a rack rental for CCNP Switch.
  • Henry is GodHenry is God Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So the Boson is in no way a substitute for GNS3?
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Boson Netsim is a hardware/software simulator. GNS3 is a hardware emulator that runs the real IOS. As you progress from entry-level certifications to intermediate or advanced ones, that difference becomes more and more significant.
    Boson Netsim is a hardware/software simulator. GNS3 is a hardware emulator that runs the real IOS. As you progress from entry-level certifications to intermediate or advanced ones, that difference becomes more and more significant.

What would you recommend for an adequate setup for CCNP route?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You can get through ROUTE with just GNS3. When you get to the SWITCH you will need to look into some hardware as switches are not emulated in GNS3. You can do some basic switching on the ESW modules, but it's not full featured enough to complete all of the exam objectives.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    You can get through ROUTE with just GNS3. When you get to the SWITCH you will need to look into some hardware as switches are not emulated in GNS3. You can do some basic switching on the ESW modules, but it's not full featured enough to complete all of the exam objectives.

Thanks for the reply. So basically just follow all the labs in the FLG guide for the ROUTE and I should be OK? If not, what you recommend in terms of setup?
  • okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    Thanks for the reply. So basically just follow all the labs in the FLG guide for the ROUTE and I should be OK? If not, what you recommend in terms of setup?

There really isn't a "one size fits all" approach to preparing and passing the exam. Take me for example, I simply could not get through FLG as I found it quite boring. Instead, I'm using a different text. They all cover most of the exam topics. It comes down to being comfortable with those objectives. If you read an objective and draw a blank, probably should research and practice more. A CCIE at my last job said he uses Cisco.com as his main source of study so your mileage may vary.