Options

How to account for previous experience for career switchers

dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
It seems IT has higher percentage of career switchers vs. other fields. How do people account for previous experience in other field?

Before switching to IT I was a senior mechanical engineer with experience in generating SoW & RFP, attending CCB meetings, leading projects and managing people. In IT I have 2 years experience, but I also have 14 years of ME experience I can leverage. So what's my true years of experience?
2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
"Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How do people account for previous experience in other field? 14 years of ME experience.. managing people.. So what's my true years of experience?
    How much an employer will discount your non-IT experience will depend on how closely it relates to the role you're applying for. You say you have experience managing people. If you were applying for an IT manager position, I'd probably ask how many years your non-IT title included the word "manager", and give you credit for at least those.

To a degree, it's your job to sell your previous experience.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I put my 8 years as a claims processor/examiner on mine to show I can hold a job for 8 years. When it's brought up, I also point out it's because at this stage, my resume would be pretty empty since I'm still at my first IT job.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was driving bus and coach - even that is in my CV / resume - otherwise I'd have a gab of a couple of years which is probably worse - even my degree is non-IT related ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p