line vty question

xkaijinxxkaijinx Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
Quick question,

When watching the CBT Nuggets video they said that... (the example is for the switch in the video) when you configure

line vty 0-15 (16 sessions total) is for each of the virtual ports that you are able to telnet/ssh into.

I wanted to make sure that this is completely separate from the physical ports on the switch. I thought it would be logical if you had a 24 port switch than you should be able to have 0 - 23 (24 sessions total)

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    This is separate from physical ports. This is a terminal session to the switch itself. All 16 of the session could connect through a single physical interface.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The physical ports and vty lines have nothing to do with each other (other than the fact the switch would have to be physically plugged into the network to be accessed via a vty line).

The 16 vty lines is a software limit on the amount of concurrent vty sessions that are available. Much like how you are limited to 2 RDP sessions to a Windows server, regardless of how many NICs you have.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    The physical ports and vty lines have nothing to do with each other (other than the fact the switch would have to be physically plugged into the network to be accessed via a vty line).

The 16 vty lines is a software limit on the amount of concurrent vty sessions that are available. Much like how you are limited to 2 RDP sessions to a Windows server, regardless of how many NICs you have.

Sound explanation.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    VTY lines just allow for configuration via telnet/ssh. It's not like a port that's used as a VTY port cannot be used for anything else. Frankly, I don't know why so many VTY lines would be necessary. I just know what I need to know for the test and that's all I'm worried about for the time being.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A VTY line that is in use cannot be used for anything else.

That's why a device with so many are desireable. On older devices with only 4 VTY lines, you can have serious headaches, when some admin(s) forget to log out. You end up playing with inactivity timers, which also cause headaches.
  • Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A VTY line that is in use cannot be used for anything else.

Right, that's what I meant. Sorry.