Options

Droid Bionic Rooted!

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
So my phone had been running like crap the past few months. I would look at task manager and there were a ton of apps running that I did not use. Most were unremovable bloatware added by Verizon (Blockbuster app, Citrix App, Slacker Radio, etc). I'm fine with putting those things on there, but if I don't use them I should be allowed to remove them. So today I rooted my phone, purchased Titanium Backup, and zapped those suckers like a pro. Phone is running a 100 times better and that makes me happy :) The process was pretty simple:

Followed this guide: Droid Bionic Root - Your source for Droid Bionic ROOTING, ROMS, Hacks, and Tips!

Then I purchased Titanium Backup ($6.5icon_cool.gif and pressed on the apps then choose "Convert to user app." From there go back into the Marketplace, select "My Apps" and remove that junk.
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    If you think you phone is faster just being rooted you should put ICS on it. Check XDA for the install guide to 6.7.2320. I have been running ICS on my Bionic since July and have not ran into any issues besides dialing random people with Google Voice app installed.

FYI, some guy reported getting ICS OTA meaning that Verizon might be getting ready to release. The ICS I am running was a potential candidate for the OTA update but Verizon found some bug and has since had a few other potential releases on their staging server but this release allows you to FXZ back to 905 to get on the update path if needed.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There have been a few articles on those running services and most of them are not really doing anything, if you kill the processes they just come back.
  • Options
    I was actually able to uninstall them so they are no longer there to run ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I did that once and when I got an OTA update it couldn't install because my install was different. Of course I said "update" and I doubt you get updates anymore.

Motorola Atrix 4G, Electrify and Photon 4G Won
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I rooted my Samsung Nexus on Verizon, 100% improvement over the Verizon software image. Two things bothered me about my phone, the battery life sucked and I got about 6 minutes of mobile data before it inexplicably dropped me off. After rooting it, it works fantastic.
  • Options
    Really? I had that issue and it had to do with switching from 4G to 3G. Connection would drop and even rebooting wouldn't do the trick. I took to turning off the 4G, but heard the issue was resolved. I turned it back on and every once in awhile it would drop again. Might turn it on and see what happens!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah. I had that issue with the Droid X. A lot of crap on the phone. Rooting it made it so much better at the time. The way I seen it:

iPhone = JailBreak
    Droid = Root

Both are a must!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    I've rooted all my androids since my droid eris, its literally the first thing I do when I get back from Verizon or open the box from UPS.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Really? I had that issue and it had to do with switching from 4G to 3G. Connection would drop and even rebooting wouldn't do the trick. I took to turning off the 4G, but heard the issue was resolved. I turned it back on and every once in awhile it would drop again. Might turn it on and see what happens!

It was so consistent that my conspiracy theory faculties concluded that this was a design "Feature" of the VZW software designed to prevent the phone from being a data hog. Kind of like how Comcast sends drop packets to persistent down and upload connections.

Ever since I rooted the phone, 4G stays connected when 4G service is available. VZW 4G, when it works right, is awesome. Most of Denver is covered, so I am happy. Even out here 5 miles east of the Airport on E-470 I will pick up a 4G signal.
  • Options
    I turned it back on and so far so good!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well those of you that have a Droid Bionic, Motorola seems to have kept their word. Verizon pushed Ice Cream Sammich <sic> Android 4.0.4 onto my phone yesterday. The interface and icons are bit different and I initially thought the update failed as they use a transparent version of the dialer keyboard for you to enter your pin number. The previous version had a solid white separate from the dialer keyboard to enter the pin and pin was printed on the display. The new one gives no clue and is a little slow with the dots if your first digit is not the same as the first digit of your pin.

I found that some of the sounds have changed. I use my phone as an alarm clock and use the old fashion but very loud bell ringer. It seems to have been replaced by a much muted version. Guess it will take a few days to get used to the changes; a few of the live wallpapers are kind of cool.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO