Options

what if I don't obtain my MCITP before july 2013?

edwinxedwinx Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I will get a raise if I get my MCITP and they would like it done within 8-9 months but it looks like MCITP will be retired next July 2013. What will happen if I did not get certified in time? will the exams that I have passed already be able to transfer to the next certification or will they be wasted?

Also, if I want to be more involved with the backend, planning and less desktop support, which path should I pursue?

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    If you have experience already you should be able to knock out these exams in 3-4 months.

If you begin and don't finish, it won't count for much, you will have MCTS qualifications, which will probably still be good to have.

I think most people are doing their MCITP now for an easier path to MCSE 2012.

For back end, MCITP Server Admin or MCITP Enterprise Admin (go for Server Admin if you just want the MCITP quickly, it is 3 exams opposed to 5 with enterprise)
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
  • Options
    edwinxedwinx Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    discount81 wrote: »
    If you have experience already you should be able to knock out these exams in 3-4 months.

If you begin and don't finish, it won't count for much, you will have MCTS qualifications, which will probably still be good to have.

For back end, MCITP Server Admin or MCITP Enterprise Admin (go for Server Admin if you just want the MCITP quickly, it is 3 exams opposed to 5 with enterprise)

Yeah, I am hoping for an easier upgrade path to 2012 as well.

I'll try to find a training kit for the MCITP:SA

Thanks!
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes the Exams are still valid and will continue to exist,

The + Point is if your able to complete the exam before the 31st of July - you will earn both the MCITP : SA and MCSA 2008 credentials .
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    joe0121joe0121 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    discount81 wrote: »

Bingo. I get my MCITP and it's ONE test to port it over to 2012.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you're going for SA, the retirement date doesn't matter. It only impacts the MCITP title, which in and of itself should not matter much. The exams will still be available and still result in the MCSA 2008 credential, as they do now.

If you were going for the EA I would simply tell you no, don't go for the EA. Only the EA and some of the other less common choices are actually going away in July.

Generally, the recommended Microsoft path at this point is: MCSA 2008 > MCSA 2012 Ugprade > MCSE Server Infrastructure
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also, the MCITP: SA is not going away, only the title is. After July 31, 2013, the title is only MCSA: Server 2008. As Dr IT pointed out, the exams will still exist and you will earn both certifications if you pass all the exams before this date. If you want the MCITP: EA then you will need to complete everything by July 31, 2013.

Right now I am just going for MCITP: SA, but may switch to EA if I get far enough quick enough.
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Don't do it, Keener. 70-643 and 70-647 are each harder than the other three exams combined. Unless you have significant experience with most or all of the areas of each exam, it is way too risky. If you can't finish 680, 640, and 642 in less than 60 days you might consider EA.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Don't do it, Keener. 70-643 and 70-647 are each harder than the other three exams combined. Unless you have significant experience with most or all of the areas of each exam, it is way too risky. If you can't finish 680, 640, and 642 in less than 60 days you might consider EA.

Thanks for the word of warning on the difficulty. I have a decent amount of experience, but nothing majorly in depth. I reread my post too and I mis-spoke. I will definitely go for the SA, but may "add" the EA depending on the time left.
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!