Certifications which Will Help grow within a Big IT Service Provider

Hello All, I am a new user here. I am a recent graduate after completeting a Computer Science Degree and have managed to land myself a "Service Desk Analyst" role within a Large IT Service Provider (Fujtsu).

I am hoping to grow and develop within the business and I am basically just asking which certifications which could help me do this. I am not 100% sure on which area I would like to focus on in IT however I do have a strong passion for Networking/Security and also the buisness side of IT.

I have studied the CCNA material within my degree and now am looking to actually review the material and go on and sit my exam. Would you reccomend sitting the exam via ICN1 and ICN2 this will also allow me to get CCENT too? What are your views on the cisco certs are they that valuable? I've been told that taking the CCNA exam all in one sitting can be quite hard?

Also could anyone reccomend any Certs which will help you go down the business side of IT? I feel that here at Fujistu as its such a big organization Certs like ITIL etc would be vital for working your way up through the ranks. Is this true or could you recommend anything else which could help?

Any other input from any users who work for large IT Service providers would be much appreciated also.

Cheers!

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    StussyNz wrote: »
    Would you reccomend sitting the exam via ICN1 and ICN2 this will also allow me to get CCENT too?
    That would be a poor reason to sit both exams. Many people have not even heard of the CCENT, and those who have, know the CCNA includes that and more.
    What are your views on the cisco certs are they that valuable?
    Sure, both in its own right and as a gateway to higher certifications.
    I've been told that taking the CCNA exam all in one sitting can be quite hard?
    When you take the CCNA composite, you don't take twice as many questions! If you already know the ICND1 and ICND2 material, taking the composite makese sense. If it's going to be a big study effort for you, taking it in two parts gives you a mid-point milestone. :)
  • StussyNzStussyNz Member Posts: 177
    Haha cheers, thanks for your input.
  • discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    ITIL is very easy and a lot of companies value it.

However if you want business side related certification, project management is the way to go PRINCE2 is highly regarded, and while difficult, easier than PMI.
    A friend of mine in Australia did his PRINCE2 and shortly after left an underpaid/under appreciated Server Admin role, now he makes $40,000 more per year as the technical project manager.
    Hello All, I am a new user here. I am a recent graduate after completeting a Computer Science Degree and have managed to land myself a "Service Desk Analyst" role within a Large IT Service Provider (Fujtsu).

I am hoping to grow and develop within the business and I am basically just asking which certifications which could help me do this. I am not 100% sure on which area I would like to focus on in IT however I do have a strong passion for Networking/Security and also the buisness side of IT.

I have studied the CCNA material within my degree and now am looking to actually review the material and go on and sit my exam. Would you reccomend sitting the exam via ICN1 and ICN2 this will also allow me to get CCENT too? What are your views on the cisco certs are they that valuable? I've been told that taking the CCNA exam all in one sitting can be quite hard?

Also could anyone reccomend any Certs which will help you go down the business side of IT? I feel that here at Fujistu as its such a big organization Certs like ITIL etc would be vital for working your way up through the ranks. Is this true or could you recommend anything else which could help?

Any other input from any users who work for large IT Service providers would be much appreciated also.

Cheers!
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
    Fantastic! Thanks for your information. Have you sat the ITIL Cert? Could you reccomend any reading material?
    I've had some experience within the PRINCE2 Project Methodology as I used this for my undergraduate project within my degree. I however didn't realise that you could get a certification within IT?
  • discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    I sat the basic ITIL Foundations, my current job paid for it.
    I found a lot of it common sense or maybe I am just use to working in ITIL environments, so I passed quite easily without any extra study outside of the courses at work.

PRINCE2 isn't IT specific, just like PMI isn't IT specific.
    The methodology applies to Project Management in all industries, however PRINCE2 seems to be very popular in the Australian IT Industry, and I assume NZ also.

Fantastic! Thanks for your information. Have you sat the ITIL Cert? Could you reccomend any reading material?
    I've had some experience within the PRINCE2 Project Methodology as I used this for my undergraduate project within my degree. I however didn't realise that you could get a certification within IT?
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
  • pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    Prince2 is accepted in Europe/UK & Australia to certain extent, PMI is pretty much more globally accepted. The main problem is for PMI you need to show project hours which is not possible till you have work experience of 3-4 years. ITIL does not have any prerequisites and its a good beginner certification. For a good cocktail I will recommend a mix ITIL V3 with technical certification relevant to your job role for best results icon_lol.gif
    PMI/Prince2/CAPM are more advanced certifications and I know many Service Desk guys got PMI/Prince2 Certified but didnt get Project Management Roles/Jobs as they have no experience to show. This may also be that a seasoned HR/IT Manager can usually weed out people without any experience in the interview as well but end result is the same.
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
    Thanks for your input. Fujistu actually use and follow the ITIL Framework so I might have a look and ask around about how I could go about studying towards this internally.
    Do you happen to know how the Austrailian IT Industry compares to NZ's? I'm going to potentially look at jumping over the ditch at some point as Fujitsu does support a lot of Australian Clients. Where abouts are you based within Australia? Which Citys provide the best job opportunities and salaries?
  • JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    ITIL Intermediate & Expert... :)
  • pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    I am based in India and currently working in ITSM based role and will "hopefully budget permits" be completing Intermediate & Expert in 2013. I was trained & certified by my employer. Ask around and see if your employer sponsors the ITIL V3 exam if your organization follows V3 then I am sure you will have some internal certification programs for getting certified.
    Sorry no idea about NZ or AUS job market but I can tell you that ITIL V3 Foundation is a must for anyone in Infrastructure Services
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
    Cheers thanks for your input Pumbaa, I will ask around internally!
  • filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CCNA, CCNA Service Provider, CCNA Service Provider Operations, CCNP Service Provider, etc.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp-service-provider/84257-i-am-taking-ccna-service-provider-certification-class-640-878-spngn2.html
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller