Best Books on the market which cover the Current CCENT and CCNA

StussyNzStussyNz Member Posts: 177
Hey guys,

Just wondering what are the best books on the Market which covers the current version of both the CCENT and CCNA material. Any of you also studying towards these certs? What books are you using?

Comments

• MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Search the forum, some great threads about this very question. Yes, a lot of people here are studying for these certs icon_thumright.gif

Basically the top recommendations are usually Odom's ICND1 and ICND2 (Cisco Press books).. and Lammle's CCNA study guide (Sybex). Those are what I used as well and had everything I needed. Good luck!
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • StussyNzStussyNz Member Posts: 177
    Cheers, thanks for your input, I will take a look at other threads.
  • mohamedshajidmohamedshajid Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Most of people's using Todd Lammle CCNA 7th edition :D
    [2013] CCNA Cert Exam @IBM Premier Campus in Sri Lanka
    + Reading Todd Lammle CCNA 7th Edition, CCENT Cert Dummies
    I'm totally afraid of heard strange word of cisco
    + Next Career - Red Hat Linux Networking And CCNA: Security (2013 Before June)
  • beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There are a lot of different ways to prepare for this, wendell odom cisco press, Todd Lammle, Chris Bryant is good too. Personally I understand video instruction better especially CBT nuggets or INE videos and that may be the way I go. I will probably use videos, Packet Tracer for hands on labs and then maybe the boson test or test from the Sybex book from Todd Lammle to fill in the blanks. I have been in the I.T. field about 10 years or so and have a basic unsderstanding of a lot of stuff. I dont agree with this whole concept of you HAVE to use books to pass, use whatever allows you to learn it but everyone has different backgrounds and experiences.
  • StussyNzStussyNz Member Posts: 177
    Thanks for your input beach. I totally understand where you are coming from; You can read and read about things yet when it comes to a real world situation you go blank. Practical learning is very much the key!
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    See Signature :)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    StussyNz wrote: »
    Thanks for your input beach. I totally understand where you are coming from; You can read and read about things yet when it comes to a real world situation you go blank. Practical learning is very much the key!
    No problem, i'm just speaking from working around CCNAs, CCNPs and CCIEs, I have been around a lot of them and I have also had some real cool classes for CCNA that I paid for on my own, one teacher was very enthusiastic about teaching, he was a CCIE. We used to do so many huge configurations in the class. He would show us a lot of real world troubleshooting techniques that makes the theory so much clearer. Now we were using the Sybex book at the time but I barely read it because I took so many notes just from the class. I took the test and got an 809 which I thought was pretty good. I rushed through the test and did not take my time and made stupid mistakes, been kicking myself in the butt for it for years. Now I'm getting ready to make another jab at it using CBT nuggets and see how that goes and maybe supplement with a book if I need to but one thing for sure is I will be deep into Packet Tracer, subnetting and I may use the INE videos too and a Boson test.
  • Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I haven't got a book for the ICND2 yet. For the ICND1, the Official Cert Guide from Ciscopress is great. It's really helpful for subnetting. I'd also recommend the CBTNuggets videos for audiovisual aids. They're very helpful for explaining routing protocols and concepts like NAT.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can't go wrong with either Lammle CCNA guide or Odom's Official Cert Library. I personally prefer Odom.
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I personally prefer Odom as well, but its a preference, I just love reading long and detailed explanation of things, rather than just a short version, something that makes me ask myself, there's got to be more than this. Oh well Lammle is great too.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • lilmansdadlilmansdad Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone know of the top of their head whether the CCENT has had new objectives added since Odom did his books? They are from 2007...
  • MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    lilmansdad wrote: »
    Does anyone know of the top of their head whether the CCENT has had new objectives added since Odom did his books? They are from 2007...

lilmansdad,

Odom has a revised version of his CCNA library. My understanding is that the changes are minor. Only a few sections were updated & further divided for easier reading (I.e chapter 12 on subnetting). But overall the content between the 2nd and 3rd editions are identical. The 3rd edition has a different test engine & doesn't include electronic copies of the books. Whereas the 2nd edition (2007) uses the Boson engine, & has PDFs of ICND1 & ICND2. There’s been no major update to CCENT or CCNA, the 2007 books are still perfectly valid. You should scan the exam blue prints every so often for any changed objectives.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • lilmansdadlilmansdad Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info! icon_thumright.gif

Just seems like an awful long time for them not to make huge changes. Seems like MS does it often...