Best Way to Start Labbing?

NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
I've been reading my CCENT/CCNA book for a bit now, and I'm getting excited about the labbing/experimenting portion. What's the best way to go about starting some lab exercises?

Anyone know of any beginner step-by-step sites or starting out videos? I basically have all my lab equipment on the floor unplugged and trying to get a basic setup going so I can start playing around with everything.

Thank you!
Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security

Comments

• TehToGTehToG Member Posts: 194
    Isn't that a CCIE book? Not that useful for CCNA then.
    There is a website which I can't find right now that has lab scenarios for CCNA. Someone will be on soon to post it.

What equipment do you have and how many of each. If we know that I'm sure we can help.
  • chXchX Member Posts: 100 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    Free CCNA Workbook

This is a very good website for a lab workbook.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    TehToG wrote: »
    What equipment do you have and how many of each. If we know that I'm sure we can help.

This is exactly what I have. The rack is set up just like the auction's images as well.

Cisco Lab Kit - Based on CBT NUGGETS! Great for CCNA! 3 Routers and 3 Switches | eBay
  • prtechprtech Member Posts: 163
    Pick up a terminal server!
    If at first you do succeed, try something harder.
    Can't I just use Packet Tracer off my PC? Just looking to get CCENT and CCNA for now. Have that Serial/USB adapter as well.
    You can but then why did you buy those routers and switches.
    To get a hands-on view? I guess I'm confused as to why I would need a server if I can see everything with Packet Tracer using my real equipment. :P
    I'm confused as well. You can see all of your real equipment on packet tracer?
  • mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your best bet would be to start of labbing with Packet Tracer to get familiar with the IOS/CLI. Get some basic networks up and running with routers and switches. Once you get familiar with using the IOS/CLI, then move on to the real gear.

Packet Tracer is the best tool for getting familiar with the CLI and setting up basic networks with routers and switches. It also teaches you the basics about adding modules to routers and switches. You even have to turn the routers off before you can add modules so it is fairly realistic and easy to use.

My advice would be to don't worry about the real gear until you have used PT for a while and have a good basic understanding of the CLI and getting basic networks up and running.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Get Lammle's book and do every lab in his book.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Just use packet tracer for all your labs, there are some great pre-made PT labs that work through various requirements out there to be found. As far as your real equipment use it to practice upgrading IOS and password breaking. If you want some real fun delete your IOS then reboot the device and load it back on through a console cable in rommon...good real world "oops I fudged up" experience if you know what I mean icon_redface.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
    I apparently never knew that Packet Tracer can work without real equipment. icon_rolleyes.gif

Since I'm so excited about jumping in and getting my hands dirty...could I essentially use my real equipment pretty quickly after doing some basic labs? And follow the rest of the step-by-steps with them?
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It really depends on your learning pace. If you learn and understand the stuff reasonably fast I dont see why you can't jump right away into the real gear. I used packet tracer and odoms network sim to get a basic understanding of the CLI and networking, and then I moved onto real gear. I recently also purchased 101 CCNA Labs, I highly recommend it after you get all the basics down and are ready for some labs with real equipment.
    For those with the Odom book, how is the CCNA Simulator? As good as or better than Packet Tracer?

@Flo0z - In regards to 101 CCNA Labs, do you mean this?

101 Labs for the Cisco CCNA Exam: Paul W Browning,Farai Tafa,Stuart Juggins: 9780955781520: Amazon.com: Books
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The Odom sim is good to get a basic understanding of the CLI. It comes with 200+ labs and it walks you through each one. There is no dragging and dropping routers and connectors in Odoms sim. He provides the topology when you open up a lab. Packet tracer on the other hand lets you make your topologies and mess around with the different routers and switches.

Yep that is the book.
  • mohamedshajidmohamedshajid Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    FloOz wrote: »
    The Odom sim is good to get a basic understanding of the CLI. It comes with 200+ labs and it walks you through each one. There is no dragging and dropping routers and connectors in Odoms sim. He provides the topology when you open up a lab. Packet tracer on the other hand lets you make your topologies and mess around with the different routers and switches.

Yep that is the book.

Oh! bro thanks for your resources, Wendell odom's Lab is really great i think :) because they had mentioned 200 labs so we could practice easily ;)
    [2013] CCNA Cert Exam @IBM Premier Campus in Sri Lanka
    + Reading Todd Lammle CCNA 7th Edition, CCENT Cert Dummies
    I'm totally afraid of heard strange word of cisco
    + Next Career - Red Hat Linux Networking And CCNA: Security (2013 Before June)
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome sources! Keep 'em coming!
  • Reck_Reck_ Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□