Microsoft starter

Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
What's a good Microsoft certification to start out with? I am about to take the ICND1, and while I do plan to take the ICND2, I think I'm going to need an actual computing certification as well. Which one would a novice have the easiest time obtaining?

Comments

• ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    most would start with windows 7 or windows 8 MCTS. If you want a server level cert that complaints you networking background, take a look at 70-642 windows 2008 Network Infrastructure.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    Actually Id start easy with a MTA. If your studying the ICDNs, try taking a look at MTA: Networking Fundamentals. Should be right up your alley
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Don't waste your time and money on MTAs. They are completely worthless.

If you're not already employed, an A+ would be an easy next step that will certainly get you some interviews. It's as entry-level as they come, but it's still the most sought-after entry level cert.

Otherwise, just start after the MCSA 2008 track. Not that the Windows 7 cert would be a bad step, but MCSA is always going to get more hits than MCTS, and proven server knowledge is required to move up beyond entry-level; proven client knowledge simply isn't -- it's a given that you have client knowledge if you have server knowledge.

All that being said, I would say focus on your CCNA for now. There's no reason to change subjects on yourself after ICND1. Coming back to ICND2 after studying almost completely unrelated material is going to cause unnecessary pain. Look at other certifications after you are at a good stopping point -- CCNA.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    @Ptilsen They definitly are not as widley accepted as say the CCNA but below are things he requested:
    What's a good Microsoft certification to start out with?
    Which one would a novice have the easiest time obtaining?

They are still going to get you the MCP. And since he is about the take the ICDN1 that means he is more than able to take the MTA:NET cold (same day even) and pass it.

That is the path of least resistance, and it won't distract him from the end goal of ICDN2.

I'll leave off with these words: There is no such thing as a worthless certification. Anything is still better than nothing.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
  • JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    he has already got security+ , so he's not a so novice, why bother with MTAs................ :)

take a look at MCTS: Windows 7 Configuration & 70-642