Options

How to write reportsor talbes for SQL

antoine808antoine808 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am new at learning this program. I have been given the opportunity to advance in my company if I can learn Microsoft SQL Server and how to write, view and display report, queries and data on the network. I am baffled and do not understand this language yet, can anyone simplify this or help me out?
Singing- *Rain drops keep falling on my head*

Comments

• Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    You need to learn the basics first. Try to be familiar with creating databases with the enterprise manager, stopping starting the server, creating users, etc.

Then what you'll need to learn very well is Transact-SQL or T-SQL for short.

Do you have any database design background?

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    SQL is whole new world, you need to know how to install, config, administer then do daily work in it. I didnt know anything about SQL but the past 2 yrs Ive been working with it only by administering and now Im installing, running scripts, understanding tables, sql profiler and sql analyzer.

Take it one topic at a time, if you jump into learning so much at once you will be totally confused. My job is to provide support to client all running sql in the backend, from time to time I need to run scripts against the database tables to fix data. Its something I really dont like to do on a daily basis but again its enhancing my knowledge of SQL. I dont see myself being a dba but Im ok with the knowledge I have acquired.
    What next?
  • Options
    antoine808antoine808 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you both for your information. I will start with the basic. Its crazy that I had to learn on my own how to start the server, by going to control panel/admin tools/comp. mnagemt/serv. & appl/services and running from the local system. I must get used to the terminalogy and well as learn the basics. Anything you guys can help with please let me know.
    Singing- *Rain drops keep falling on my head*
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    You can get the basics of database design concept and writing queries by reading the SQL Sever Technotes on this site. They're free.

Installing SQL Sever is easy. If you don't have a copy, buy the developers edition which is very cheap and is meant to be used for education purposes. Once you have the sofware, feel free to post any questions on this forum and we'll try our best to answer them.

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.