Options

Online training providers; Requesting input

QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi hi hi,

Looking for input on IT training other than CBT Nuggets. That's my personal favorite, but I'm looking for other options, free or paid. Our annual IT Retreat is scheduled for later this month, and the agenda just got posted today. One of the line items is essentially "professional development", so I figured this would be the opportune time to push for provided training. For us, price would be a concern, and so would concurrent licenses. Once I have a nice list of providers, I'm going to make some phone calls and try to get pricing, content, and licensing details for all of them. I tried to find something like this online, but haven't come up with anything yet. I've found cert specific examples, but nothing that had an overall picture.

Here's what I've come up with so far as far as providers:

Free Training:
vtc.com
lynda.com/

Paid, heard good things:
cbtnuggets.com/it-training-videos
trainsignal.com/
testout.com/

Paid, really don’t have any details:
skillsoft.com
gogotraining.com/
newhorizons.com
learninggate.com
training.teksystems.com/
globalknowledge.com/training/

I would appreciate any input you might have on the above providers. If someone above sucks, I'd like to know it. I would also appreciate suggestions for anything I left out but should consider. And just to clarify, the purpose of this is for IT team training and skill diversification, not specifically for certifications.

My end goal here is to have 5-8 solid contenders to research. My plan is to have a nice, pretty spreadsheet with a breakdown of providers, including prices, content, benefits, drawbacks, restrictions, and anything else I can find that would give a clear picture of what we would be getting. I also plan to compare the free stuff to the paid stuff when I present this to my team. I'm really hoping for CBT, but need to present alternatives so I don't appear too biased.

Thank you, and and all input is greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• Options
    MJohnsonresMJohnsonres Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For what it's worth, here's my two cents:

Free Training
    :
    vtc.com
    lynda.com/ - Although they have some free content, it is not a free site. Their monthly/yearly subscriptions are as follows:

Monthly Subscription: $25
    Monthly Premium Subscription: $37.50 LOL... Really fifty cents... icon_rolleyes.gif
    Annual Subscription: $250.00/year
    Annual Premium Subscription: $375.00/year

Paid, heard good things:
    cbtnuggets.com/it-training-videos
    trainsignal.com/
    testout.com/ - I think this is one of the very best. Student pricing ~$85.00 for the Network+ course which gives you three year of online access. They provide videos, outlines, objectives (based on the version of the certification), virtual labs/simulators, quizzes and practice test. You won't believe how much you get for you money.

Paid, really don’t have any details:
    skillsoft.com - One of the best kept secrets in the business. A large variety of training options, not just for IT. I don't have to pay for my access to the training. icon_cool.gif

gogotraining.com/
    newhorizons.com - Two thumbs down.
    learninggate.com
    training.teksystems.com/
    globalknowledge.com/training/ - The quality of training varies based on the instructor.
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lynda.com/ - Although they have some free content, it is not a free site.
    testout.com/ - I think this is one of the very best.
    skillsoft.com - One of the best kept secrets in the business.
    newhorizons.com - Two thumbs down.
    globalknowledge.com/training/ - The quality of training varies based on the instructor.

Awesome! Thanks for the input!!!
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One more to throw in there that I highly recommend is thebryantadvantage.com for Cisco certifications.

The number of topics is limited (CCENT/CCNA/CCNP) but for those topics it's A++ IMHO. He's also creating Security+ and A+ by the end of the year.

PS. it's cheap too :)
  • Options
    JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    one more paid training site for cisco : INE - they give free streaming videos for CCNA though