Options

Career Path, Certs, Training (Basic Questions)

Kimba91Kimba91 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I am brand new to the forums and am so thankful I found this resource. I am looking for direction on career paths, certifications, and training approaches. A bit about me. I was recently laid off from my position of 16 years (basically deskside PC support) in a corporate environment. I have an A+ certification from 1996. My previous employer has provided funds for training relevant to my career (IT) for which I must be actively taking prior to November 14. I can spend more as needed. I need to decide on a career path and purchase and/or be in the training before then.

Career Path: My interest is in training. I also like helping people (why I liked working deskside support). But, am open to other things as well, and would like to know what IT areas (and certifications) are more in demand. Gaining additional training in an area that I like but for which there are few jobs makes no sense. Right now, I feel I don't know what I don't know...but should know.

Certifications: Clarity on "Career Path" wil help clarify certification needs. but the certifications themselves, especially Microsoft, I find very confusing. Cisco is easier to understand. With Cisco, I was considering CCENT and then CCNA later. I am weak on networking. With Microsoft, I don't know...so confusing, but maybe MTA, MCTS, and MCITP, but unsure of what technology. Depends again on career path.

Training Approaches: What are opinons on training methods? Classroom environment, computer based DVD, books, and ??? I think there may be scheduled classes over the Internet? I do not which are preferred or who does these well. I liked what I saw at CBTNuggests and will look at TrainSignal. I am looking into CBT because any one career path will likely mean taking classes that have prerequisites, and I do not have enough time to take one class, followed by a logical next-step class, before the November 14 deadline runs out. I could take classes in different topics where this is no prerequsite, and perhaps having some varied training is wise. I don't know. The CBT gives me the option of buying all before the deadline and use it at my leisure.

Your opinions are very valued. I have to act quickly and will pay close attention to any suggestions.

Thank you.

Nanette

Comments

• Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The post is kind of confusing but I think I get the Idea. I've probably said it too many times in the last 24 hours but the CCNA can open a lot of doors in networking provided there are opportunities in your area. The first thing I would do is look on a few job boards like craigslist.org monster.com careerbuilder.com dice.com indeed.com simplyhired.com and see what kind of opportunities are in your area. With your experience, you've probably got a better chance of landing another deskside support role and possibly moving into system administration but that would involve learning some microsoft stuff. I used to feel the same way about windows server. All of the study material I picked up just just seemed to go on too much about the concepts but if you practice what you're learning on a trial copy of windows server then it may start to make more sense to you. I would also recommend updating your A+ at some point if you plan on using it to market yourself but if you get your MCSA or CCNA I wouldn't even worry about it. If it's possible for you to get training material for multiple courses than I would definitely look into CCNA and Microsoft Server certifications. Virtualization is also pretty big these days so don't over look that either. I will also say that the CBT nugget CCNA course is very good and they explain the material very well.
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I also stumbled across this forum looking for an IP Subnet Calculator icon_smile.gif. I took CCNa Exploration in 2007 when I was earning my Technology Degree. Did not get certification due to academic burn out. Now I am machor enough and ready to persue my certification and transition over to Networking.

"Onet" Online is a good resource as well. This site shows which careers have the brightest outlook as well as the outlook for your area of the country

I'm gonna have to say Networking seems to be the big thing right. Just type it in any of job search engines and see for your self.

Can't comment on the other certifications, but if you do go the CCNA path definately register for a Netacademy class through the University or Community College. The Class comes in 2 flavors Cisco Discovery and Cisco Exploration. Some folks have different learning sytles icon_smile.gif. I like the online learning better then the traditional txt book because I can cut and copies pictures and txt and Paste everything nice and neat into MIcrosoft OneNote. Also they have multi media video files as well.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Kimba91 - my advice to you is to do what a number of us on TE are doing:

(1) Knock out a few entry-level certs: A+, Net+, Sec+
    (2) Enroll in the BS-IT track of your choice at WGU
    (3) Knock out even more certs as part of your degree

In the end you'll have an IT degree and a few certs and should be in a better position to make a decision on your career path.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]