Options

Certification for MIS graduate?

newbnewb Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
I will be completing my Management Information Systems degree in a few months. I haven't really had time to think about certifications because I've been working on an off in an unrelated field and have been taking college classes nonstop without any vacation semesters for around 2 years.

Now that I will be done with my degree I will have a lot more time to focus on certifications. I know the best way to get hands on experience is through work. But it is very difficult to find jobs in general, so I will take what I can get even if it isn't in IT.

I need some advice about what certifications to seek. Logically, project management certifications considering my major, but I don't think those are something I could just jump into without any experience. I am not scared by the technical side of IT, I've studied A+, Network+, CCNA by myself before college and in college as well. Security+, Java, VB, Oracle, MCSE topics in college but at an introductory level, probably not as in depth as what I studied by myself. I am least passionate (ok not at all) about programming, but I can learn if I have to.

I guess MIS people usually go into ERP? SAP, Peoplesoft and the like? And IT management? All I've read about SAP is that the best way to learn is to already have a job where they have SAP implemented so that would be difficult right now...

Comments

• Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You have to choose what you like. MCSA and CCNA usually have the best ROI. I would also recommend adding a security cert in addition to one of these. ITIL Foundation would be a great addition for your degree.
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    UniqueAgEnTUniqueAgEnT Member Posts: 102
    Hi, I was also received Bachelors in MIS and I decided to go the Business intelligence route. I was working mostly as BI/database and now I am about to finish my Masters. I would recommend knocking out the standard A+, and then work on more specific ones such as MCSA, CCNA, or whichever route you want to go. You will most likely start out in a help desk or info tech support analyst type role and then decide from there.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think project management would be a good way to go with the MIS degree. You can pick up the Project+ (no experience needed) or CAPM. You can use classes to fulfill the requirement to take the CAPM. I agree that the CCNA and a security cert is also a good way to go.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    Just posting again to say that I've read your suggestions. I'll be looking at the certifications you guys recommended and do some research on them now. Thanks.
  • Options
    What do you guys think about an Oracle Certified Associate for a first cert? Or whats the general opinion about that cert in general? The oracle section isn't as active on this forum.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You don't see as many people going after Oracle certs. That's not to say there's no ROI, but more cert-pursuers are going for more core infrastructure areas, e.g. servers, messaging, networking, storage, virtualization, security. Database administration and ERP management are still relevant and can still see benefits from certification, but the certifications aren't as common.

I wouldn't let your degree dictate your direction. An MIS degree will be valuable in essentially any IT discipline. It's not as good as computer science for most, especially programming, but no one is going to look at your resume and say "Oh, he has an MIS degree and wants to work in infrastructure? What a fool! Trash it." Lots of us get pretty far into our careers without degrees at all. MIS falls under the category of a "related" degree, so it will help you regardless. Pick the field that interests you most. Don't go into an ERP position just because you have an MIS degrees instead of CS/EE or CIS.

Starting at a helpdesk or similar support position is common no matter which area interests you. You don't have to do that, but it's the most common path, from what most of us here have seen. For such jobs, introductory CompTIA certs (A+, Net+) are nice. Beyond that, it's all about what you want to do. If you're really, truly not sure, I might say go for more basic core certs like MCSA and CCNA. That will get you some depth in those platforms, but it's not a career commitment. If you decide you want to be a DBA or maybe a virtualization administrator, you can always go from there. If you definitely want to work with Oracle now, then maybe the Oracle certs aren't a bad place to start. I just don't want you to think that's the best path simply because of your degree.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    UniqueAgEnTUniqueAgEnT Member Posts: 102
    I definitely agree with ptilsen. MIS has a lot of avenues to travel. A lot of people go into the PM and consulting route when they do not want to be as technical since MIS can be focused on the business aspect of technology. If you do want to go for technology, it would be best to knock out a few comptia certs first since those will help you with your first position and help determine what you ultimately want to do.

One of the issues with database (dba, db developer etc) is that all employers want people with experience, but you cant have any experience if they do not hire new level people. It is slightly a catch 22, but once you break into the field then there are many opportunities. Landing my first database position must have been lucky for me since I did not have any prior exp or certs. With a combination of school, experience and certifications now, there are many opportunities.
  • Options
    Just an update. I'm pretty much done with my degree. I found a part time job at a retail store(though unrelated to IT) I am thinking of using my savings to take the A+ exam...which I find to be way too expensive. I haven't applied to any IT jobs yet. I am not sure if I should even try until I get certified at least. I invested in the A+ Exam Cram book by David L. Prowse. The material seems pretty easy so far since I've read A+ books before and taken classes. For those of you who have taken it, what are the most difficult topics?

Also, I think I started changing my mind about future certs. I think I might go for Security+, CCNA, and ITIL because those are some topics that really do interest me even if the market is flooded with people who are certified in those. Better than getting specialized in something I don't care as much about right? Or maybe I'm wrong?
  • Options
    If those interest you, go for them. Worst case, in pursuing one you might determine that it's really your bread and butter. Any will add value.

I might not wait to look for jobs until getting certified. A four-year degree is at least as good as an A+ for entry-level work, assuming you actually have the skills. If you don't, then what's important is getting those skills, and certification can be a great way.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    With an MIS degree you shouldn't have to get too many certifications to really land a nice entry level job.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    With an MIS degree you shouldn't have to get too many certifications to really land a nice entry level job.

In business? I don't doubt it. I guess it differentiates me from the typical person that has a Bachelor's in Business Administration. However, I don't know squat about the kinds of jobs in that field. If you could suggest some I'd appreciate it. I'm just afraid of taking a business job and then being lost. I mean, I did get good grades but my interest in business was never as great as in IT.
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    newb wrote: »
    ... I'm just afraid of taking a business job and then being lost. I mean, I did get good grades but my interest in business was never as great as in IT.

My opinion, but that is an unjustified worry on your part. No disrespect intended here, but you said you are working in retail. Pretty much anything is a step up from a job like that. The hiring company if they are worth anything will do their part and make sure they feel you are capable of any job they offer you.

Start applying. You are going after 'entry level' jobs. Don't sweat it. That's the point of them being called 'entry'. A decent company won't expect an expert for an 'entry' level job.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Junior business analyst or project coordinator could be a business role (depends a lot on your area)

IT you could apply for a NOC or Service Desk. If you wanted to go the Service Desk an MIS would be good enough IMO. If you want to move into a NOC I would go with Linux + or CCNA. Either of those should give you a nice leg up. I wouldn't focus on a bunch of certifications though. With your degree one would be enough for a while as long as it was aligned with your direction.

Back to the CCNA or Linux +. I would go with what you enjoy OS or Networking. If neither of these interest you then probably go for a service desk gig.
  • Options
    evoxdcevoxdc Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kgb wrote: »
    My opinion, but that is an unjustified worry on your part. No disrespect intended here, but you said you are working in retail. Pretty much anything is a step up from a job like that. The hiring company if they are worth anything will do their part and make sure they feel you are capable of any job they offer you.

Start applying. You are going after 'entry level' jobs. Don't sweat it. That's the point of them being called 'entry'. A decent company won't expect an expert for an 'entry' level job.

I have to agree with KGB on this having come from retail, even if you are doing anything technical at the retail level most employers will see that name of the company and are already set to pigeonhole you.

I used to be a Firedog technician for Circuit City and I can tell you based on my peers there were only a handful of truly capable people, which of course didn't reflect well on the group as a whole. Before I acquired my current helpdesk position I was applying off and on for the better part of almost two years, with my Bachelor in CIS degree being looked down upon. Once I acquired my first Microsoft cert and the my A+, I started getting more calls for interviews.

A good point to mention when going after jobs, if you have somebody on the inside at a particular company it can go along way in the hiring process if they offer a recommendation for you.
    Considering Studying: MCSA Server 2012 (70-410/411/412), Linux+
    Reviewing: Java, C++, Reading up on Networking theory, Algorithms and general programming
    Studying: the color of my ceiling, taking a break
    Working on: Getting finances together. Personal programming project planning. Mental Detox before I have meltdown ;)
    Completed: M.S. in Information Systems Management[/b] w/ a focus on Systems Tools and Information Security
  • Options
    I appreciate all the advice and information. Thanks guys.

I'm still concerned about the decision of whether I should take the A+ or not. For me it is a pretty big financial commitment. The time spent studying it doesn't worry me. I know the answers aren't always obvious or that there may not be only one correct answer in life. But from what I've read around this forum, and what some of the earlier posts suggested was that the A+ was important so that you'd even be hired for some jobs and that it showed at least some degree of experience.

Now you guys have said that the MIS degree is enough for an entry level job and that may be true but at the same time I have thoughts in the back of my mind telling me it's a difficult time to get a job out of college. The local job market isn't very good, etc. Maybe it's just me being insecure.

I guess I just have to do my own research. Search the local job listings for requirements. Apply for jobs. Gauge interest. Receive feedback maybe.
  • Options
    I would apply for jobs before you spend any more on the exam itself. There is no reason to hold of on building a resume and applying now. Worst case, you have to add in one line about A+ later. Study in the meantime, and if you don't have interviews by the time you're ready, go take it.

Honestly, for the ~$200 you'll spend, it's worth it. If it gets you a job two days sooner, it pays for itself. It might seem like a big financial commitment if you don't have $200, but it's really not in the grand scheme of things. Surely, you spent more per credit hour on college.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    All of the people I'm still in touch with from my MIS graduating class have found jobs, but not necessarily jobs that they enjoy or that are in locations they want to live in.

Definitely study for and plan to take the A+. If you happen to stumble into a job before you finish then great, otherwise you can take the exam and have better chances. After that you'll definitely want to move on to some higher level certifications.
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    I would apply for jobs before you spend any more on the exam itself. There is no reason to hold of on building a resume and applying now. Worst case, you have to add in one line about A+ later. Study in the meantime, and if you don't have interviews by the time you're ready, go take it.

Honestly, for the ~$200 you'll spend, it's worth it. If it gets you a job two days sooner, it pays for itself. It might seem like a big financial commitment if you don't have $200, but it's really not in the grand scheme of things. Surely, you spent more per credit hour on college.

I thought each of the two tests were ~170? But I get your point.
  • Options
    burfectburfect Member Posts: 128
    I think project management would be a good way to go with the MIS degree. You can pick up the Project+ (no experience needed) or CAPM. You can use classes to fulfill the requirement to take the CAPM. I agree that the CCNA and a security cert is also a good way to go.

I am thinking the same thing. I graduated just over a year ago with a BS in MIS and ultimately what makes the most sense for me would be Project Management/Business Analyst routes though nither of these roles seem to entry level. Aspects of project management specifically IT project management interest me, and are almost entirely what MIS is geared towards... but finding an entry level type of role, or even a a way to get your foot in towards these positions I am finding difficult to wrap my head around.

Ultimately I would like to get into management, specifically IT management, and I have seen people get there without going the real technical route. It's just that entry level BA/Project Management roles are almost a catch 22.