Do you use MDF/Krone for PBX,phones?

yuddhidhtiryuddhidhtir Member Posts: 197 ■■■■□□□□□□
We currently support a lot of different process out of which some are call centre, we have Avaya,avhan. I know what is MDF, but have not heard from anyone from the internet using these for phones in the server room, I did asked the Avaya support person whether in other companies they use this, he said they use something like patchpanel and they dont have to punch wires in the blocks instead just switch connectors, also in my company they call it Krone, is this a company or a type of MDF? I am new to supporting voice so sorry if i sound dumb, also are there good books,certification for Avaya other than their websites, we use Avaya IP office 406.
Thanks in advance
“Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment; full effort is full victory.”

Comments

• grechygrechy Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Krone is a brand which produces telecommunication equipment, cables, frames, ect. The MDF\IDF is just where the phone system patches to and the this is called an 11way krone frame and you need to use a krone tool to terminate the wires in Australia you need an open cabling license to do this.
  • yuddhidhtiryuddhidhtir Member Posts: 197 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the explanation, If we have to change employee extension phone number we have to punch the wire to the block belonging to that desk, is this how works in other companies?
    “Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment; full effort is full victory.”
  • grechygrechy Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If it is a TDM based PABX yes. But if there is already an extension and the know the card address you can do it in the phone system.
  • MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You might find that the phone wires have been brought from the Krone blocks out to a standard 8pin (RJ45 style) patchpanel. In this case, all you have to do is patch from this panel to the user's wall socket patch panel.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Have you gotten into the IP office management software yet? I used to support the IP 406 and 500s. Avaya is one of the big players in the voice realm. The 406 is a digital (I think digital only) where the port on the 406 homes directly back to a digital phone. If you have wiring to the cube all you have to do is plug one of the ports from the 406 to the punch down block corresponding to the cubicle and configure the extension and incoming call route (in case they get a DID). Unlike IP phones, where the number follows the phone/user, the extension follows the port.

Avaya IP Office User Guides, IP Office Technical Guides, and IP Office Software
  • yuddhidhtiryuddhidhtir Member Posts: 197 ■■■■□□□□□□
    it_consultant : Thanks for the link,Yes i do use the software, mainly Voicemail Pro,CC reporting etc, I am in a desktop support team and one of our duties is to look after the 3 IP office ACDs, Since this is all new to me , i am trying to learn step by step, i never thought i would be dealing with phones, but nowadays one has to do alot of things other than supporting end user. Its been months since i am supporting avaya, one of the things which i learned in this job is ,the most important and time consuming thing is to understand the system and network setup, it took me good 4-5 months to understand.

thanks all for your comments.