In the market for a new laptop

computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
I'm starting to do some research for a new laptop. I was wondering if anyone knows companies that make gaming/high performance pcs. Along the lines of Maingear Computers | High Performance Computers Customize Yours Now. and http://http://us.msi.com/ Anyone have experience using their laptops? I don't have a budget in mind, I'm just trying to find what's available. Thanks for any help.
There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)

Comments

• AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dell's Alienware line of laptops aimed at gamers too.
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I was recently made aware of Sager, they're fairly low cost for the performance and i've heard good things. Looking into getting the little 12 inch model myself.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    I have an MSI gaming machine and it's amazing. It's the second one of their gaming laptops I have purchased and have been very satisfied each time. If you are looking to customize a little more (and probably pay a little more) then you could look at Digital Storm. They have some great machines as well.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have heard good things about Sager. I had an Alienware laptop it was the R1 which was an epic piece of fail. Notebook review forums had a super long thread of people who had lock up issues myself included. Dell released an R2 version soon after which replaced the Nvidia cards with AMD. I spent numerous hours with customer support and never got it resolved.

I am not big on gaming laptops because you pay through the nose for that extra five percent improvement.
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I have also heard really good things about Sagar computers. From what I understand if you want a good gaming computer for a decent price to go with them.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't know about nowadays, but years ago Alienware used to just be branded Clevo/Sager laptops with some nice eye-candy added on. It was nice for repair parts, Clevo parts were much less expensive than anything branded Alienware.
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Another vote for Sager here :)
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Qord wrote: »
    I don't know about nowadays, but years ago Alienware used to just be branded Clevo/Sager laptops with some nice eye-candy added on. It was nice for repair parts, Clevo parts were much less expensive than anything branded Alienware.

Yeah I noticed this as well, back then before Dell bought them out the Sager cases were the same minus the Alienware logo.
  • 3Dtechguy3Dtechguy Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    check out ibuypower.com
  • AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For the official launch of Windows 8 on October 26th, many manufacturers (Sony, Dell, Asus) have announced new laptop models with touch screen.

The Sony VAIO Duo 11 slider PC looks interesting: Sony's VAIO Duo 11 Windows 8 slider goes on sale this month, starts at $1,100 -- Engadget
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • someasiandudesomeasiandude Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Republic of Gamers - The Choice of Champions - News, Gaming, Guides, Overclocking for gaming laptops.. heard nothing but positive reviews about em

i recently puchased a laptop but not for gaming.. it still runs diablo 3 (the only PC game i play!) in high settings though

7 15.6"

the price is a steal for the specs and the build.. i absolutely LOVE the alloy frame of this samsung laptop, its so solid and sleek looking.
    A.S. - Computer Networking Student (Spring 2014)

CompTIA A+ (passed 10/2012) ----> CompTIA Net+ ----> CCENT :study: ---> CCNA ---> ???