Setting Windows Server 2008 at home for learning purposes...

draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
I just installed windows server 2008 onto a spare PC, I put DNS of course and LDAP and that's basically it there was a security option that I don't remember the name of now. My question here is what can I do with this server? At home with only 2 computers, I have my own PC and the office PC downstairs. This is a purely a learning network but I'm not sure the idea will work.

I almost feel like I need to go and start reading a book on the MCSA but this supposed to be something that I'm doing for fun not a cert.

What can I do with a home server with 2 computers just for learning purposes? I'm open to any all ideas what I'd like to do is a get better understanding of how active directory works but I'm not sure that's going to be valid on such a small network although I could say 4 devices total if I count mobile phones as well.

What I'd like to do is set up a domain for the whole SOHO network but I'm not sure how to start. I'm going to begin tomorrow by connecting the Server PC directly to my router but it's getting these functions to work that I don't have experience with besides obvious things like setting up DHCP. Any suggestions books or otherwise? I think now is a good time to become familiar with servers before I ever work on a cert for servers.

Comments

• jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The question is, why did you install server 2008 if you don't know what to do with it ?

This is a massive product so it is hard to give suggestions. It's almost like "I bought a huge box of lego - what do I do now" :)

If you'd like to setup a domain - then start there - read up on what group policies are, what you can do with them etc. - then join a PC to this domain and see how these affect you when logging in etc. - it might be worth just grabbing a book and take it from there.

Best suggestion I can give is, stay away from Microsoft Press, have a look at these ones

Mastering Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2: Amazon.co.uk: Mark Minasi, Darril Gibson, Aidan Finn, Wendy Henry, Byron Hynes: Books

Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed: Amazon.co.uk: Rand Morimoto, Michael Noel, Omar Droubi, Ross Mistry, Chris Amaris: Books

They weigh a ton, but they have everything you need (and don't need) :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would suggest that you set up several instances of Windows Server 8 R2 and Windows 7 as virtual machines using VMWare. There are several great threads on Techexams on how to do this. Just do a Google search of the site by adding site:techexams.net as one of the search terms in Google.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    That's how I felt the first 10 times I installed Linux. The answer is simple: read. When you are one reading a source go read another one if something is not clear. I will also carefully recommend watching videos such as Trainsignal, CBT Nuggets, TechNet, etc. I say carefully because some of them may present key topics in an overly simplistic way. Books have al kinds of sidebars, footnotes, links, etc. to supplementary material that may clear up doubts.

I know it is fun setting a lab but as you have seen if you don't have a plan of attack you will hit a wall too soon. My advice is to take your time planning how you will attack this. Also, don't do anything too drastic with that server. I would keep it somewhat isolated from your main PC as I am sure you will end up rebuilding it sooner or later. It may be a good exercise to look into virtualization options. Those 2 PCs can become 4 or more if the hardware is right.
  • AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would install Windows Server 2012 instead of 2008. Then I would install the Hyper-V role.
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I remember the days of multiple boxes , hubs and kvm cables.

Now I just use a laptop and Vmware.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Install AD, DHCP, DNS -- be sure to use dynamic DNS. Setup some file shares. Join your PCs to the domain. Setup group policies to manage settings and map printers and network drives for yourself. Play around with your AD structure and see what you can do. When something doesn't work the way you expect, figure out why.

Setup something else on your other server. An IIS web site, or even SharePoint or Exchange, for that matter. Or setup another DC, even another domain. Remote Desktop Services is also fun.

Make it work for your day-to-day life. The solutions you provide yourself will be excessive and cumbersome compared to consumer-grade solutions or just using your desktop, but that's the point. After a few months, even weeks, you'll know a lot about how Windows server works and how to use it effectively in at least a small business environment. You'll learn a lot about troubleshooting.

I ran server 2003 in my home for years and did all the core infrastructure services as well as email on it. I learned a lot and it helped me be a good admin and get ahead in my career, even before I got my MCSA 2003.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I feel silly now the analogy that whole thing is a like a big tub of legos is something I never thought of. The software is so much more complicated than what I'm used to. I just wanted learn how it works and how to use it.
    The reason I didn't run server 2012 is that I didn't have access to server 2012 and the PC I'm using for a server is pretty old. My main PC would work if I used Hyper-V but I don't have access to that.

Looks like the best route is to start reading. I'm tempted at least try and see if I can set up a radius server though.

Seems like I should get a book on server 2012 rather than 2008 correct? Also I'm looking for first for the introduction version for beginners I don't want get thrown into deepwater so to speak immediately. I do indeed find servers to be intimidating.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    draught wrote: »
    and LDAP

Just so you know, ldap and active directory are not the same thing.
    I'm tempted at least try and see if I can set up a radius server though.

Why?
  • AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The reason I didn't run server 2012 is that I didn't have access to server 2012 and the PC I'm using for a server is pretty old. My main PC would work if I used Hyper-V but I don't have access to that.

Free download here: Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 | Virtualization | VDI

If you don't have the equipment at home, you can try Amazon Web Services (AWS) free for one year: http://aws.amazon.com/free/
    It will give you a VM of Windows Server 2008 in the cloud to play with.
    Seems like I should get a book on server 2012 rather than 2008 correct? Also I'm looking for first for the introduction version for beginners I don't want get thrown into deepwater so to speak immediately.

You can download (legally) free MS Press ebooks here: Free ebooks: Great content from Microsoft Press that won
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Get yourself Mastering Server 2008 R2 book by Minasi and get yourself evaluation version of R2 2008, Without a doubt the best IT book I have read so far so easy to follow and informative :)

Like people have said here what do you actually want to achieve with the product?

Start with the basics

DHCP, DNS, Active Directory basics how to setup a file server. Basic System Administration Tasks, I.e adding users + groups, disk quotas. How to perform remote administration of server.

Get yourself a foundation and build upon that knowledge, I.e how to automate tasks using Powershell, How to setup and use Server Core. Deployment i.e WDS.

Hope this helps and have fun
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ah. KVM switches. good times.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ally_uk wrote: »
    Get yourself Mastering Server 2008 R2 book by Minasi and get yourself evaluation version of R2 2008, Without a doubt the best IT book I have read so far so easy to follow and informative :)

Like people have said here what do you actually want to achieve with the product?

Start with the basics

DHCP, DNS, Active Directory basics how to setup a file server. Basic System Administration Tasks, I.e adding users + groups, disk quotas. How to perform remote administration of server.

Get yourself a foundation and build upon that knowledge, I.e how to automate tasks using Powershell, How to setup and use Server Core. Deployment i.e WDS.

Hope this helps and have fun

That sounds like a good plan for me. What I needed were some goals and those fit the bill nicely.

I wanted to set up a radius server just because no real reason other then some security related practice.

I'm also going to be starting an internship next week so I suspect I'm going be learning quite a bit about servers very shortly. I definitely know now that I'll need to get a book if I ever expect to learn what I'm doing.

Though I feel a little silly I'm glad I asked about this here at this forum versus other forums which would tear me apart for ignorance of such things as active directory.

I'll report back to this thread when I've made some progress, thanks again for the tips.