Acceptable time to answer a subnetting question

goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
Not sure where to post this , but is 1 minute and 10 seconds acceptable amt of time to answer the following subnet Question. I know time varies based on how complex the question is icon_smile.gif

I start by writing the given info on paper and solve the problem using the Magic Number Trick. I do this in less then 30 seconds. Then I enter the correct info into the computer which takes time. The only time I answer the question quickly if its a Classfull Subnet /8 /16 /24 which is about 12 seconds for me

Example Find Network, Broadcast, subnet mask, and Next Subnet
The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs

Comments

• TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    well total time is 90minutes, and 50 questions. It comes about 1min 50sec for each question. So as long as less than 2min, it is good.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    When I took my first Cisco test I froze up on the first question, subnetting question, and I spent 20 minutes on it until I finally slapped myself and moved on. So you're doing pretty well. :)
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You also have to take into consideration that there will be simulation questions that are going to take more than 2 minutes. I'd definitely try to get it down to thirty seconds or so.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I sure hope there is a way to skip question and answer the harder questions last icon_smile.gif
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    No there is not a way to skip questions and come back to them on the exams. Once you hit next you can't go back!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No there is not a way to skip questions and come back to them on the exams. Once you hit next you can't go back!
    That's exactly right - I think most people that are new to Cisco get pinched by this quite often by not knowing this.

Don't forget to practice more! This may sound like a dull answer, but the more you practice the quicker you'll be at completing a question on the exam, and in the real world. It'll feel good when you're sitting the exam and you know the answer off the top of your head.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't be nervous, goldenlight. It's just multiplication. If they ask you the fifth subnet range of a /27 network, just multiply 32 by 4. The reason you multiply by 4 is that the ranges start from zero. You get 128, and then recall that you can't use 128 so you start from 129. Then you add thirty to get the last address of the range, but since that's the broadcast you need to go back to 158. This is an extremely complex method. Not complicated, just complex. Once you get it down, you can do it in 8 seconds.

They'll probably give you some scratch paper or a white board when you go for the test.
  • goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow NO skipping ...... All this time I have been taught to answer easiest questions first and hardest questions last..

I do about 3 problems a day. I guess its time to move on to more complex subnet questions. at this time it seems like the Magic number Trick is the method I am most comfortable with..

OK back to studying... later.
  • atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    Don't go for speed, just focus on getting the answers right, the speed will come naturally with practice.
  • Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The magic number trick is only part of it. It helps you figure out the number of hosts you will get per subnet with a particular mask, but it won't help you figure out how to subnet for a particular number of subnets and hosts.
  • mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just learn how to subnet in 30 seconds or less and you will be fine. It's not that hard, it just takes a lot of practice. After you practice with subnetting for a while it becomes second nature and you just do it in your head.

If you can look at a question and pretty much straight away figure out the answer in your head, then you are on the right track. Speed comes with practice.
  • mohamedshajidmohamedshajid Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Naturally my subnetting speed is greater than in my class room. My C subnet that i found first,last,net,broad address with in 98 sec. :D
    [2013] CCNA Cert Exam @IBM Premier Campus in Sri Lanka
    + Reading Todd Lammle CCNA 7th Edition, CCENT Cert Dummies
    I'm totally afraid of heard strange word of cisco
    + Next Career - Red Hat Linux Networking And CCNA: Security (2013 Before June)
  • Reck_Reck_ Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If the subnetting question is a "one liner" type like on those with subnettingquestions.com that starts with "What is the first/last...,Where does this IP address...." Yeah, 30sec is fair enough for the exam.But hey, does speed matters ? In my opinion its better to be accurate than be quick.

Practice,practice,practice.And when your tired, try to practice while your resting.